• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5000 crashes - anyone getting them?

Associate
Hi

Just curious how many here with Ryzen 5000 CPU are getting frequent crashing?

I ask as a mate of mine just built a new PC using 5800X and is getting many crashes a day regardless of what he is doing. He seems to be getting a few of the documented problems from Reddit etc too like USB ports disconnecting etc.

I seem to think its faulty CPU more that anything as I find it very hard to believe that its mobo or RAM or power related, when all the reports seem to have many different parts from manufacturers with the same issues but only common theme is CPU being a Ryzen 5000

I guess there are a few owners of 5000 series CPUY on here so interested to hear from you if you are having issues or if its all good?

I hear talk of turning off pcie4, altering voltages, changing RAM speeds - none of these should be needed and I cant see it happening to every single owner of a 5000 chip - It has to be bad ones out there? No?

I have advised him to RMA the chip as bad but what's the likelihood of replacement doing it too?

Associate
No my 5950x has been pretty solid unless I've pushed OC to far.

If a replacement CPU does the same you have to look at motherboard, ram or psu... Maybe dodgy bios?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With how many of these got sold across the world if these problems were across them all I would have expected it to be common knowledge rather than hot topics on forums and reddit - so you guys having no issues is good to know. What chipsets you using? X570 or B550?

I reckon its just some bad chips that have made it into the wild with poor IOD dies.

Associate
OP
Sorry - should have also asked what RAM speeds you are using? He has 3600mhz which some posts are saying doesnt work right (dont believe this myself at all) and dropping it from using the DOCP setting to just run standard solves it - again this points to faulty IOC to me as the FSB will be running slower....

Associate
Maybe give ram a little more voltage to see if that stabilises it. then points to docp not being very good or motherboard undervolting ram slightly, or just ram compatability issues. I've neevr had a cpu issues in more years doing this than I care to mention.... Usually ends up something else.

Associate
OP
Just to update on this - its a faulty CPU - he sent it back and replaced it with the warranty one and its working a treat - there are a number of cases like this now, 5000 series have some faulty chips out in the wild.

Associate
Solid as a rock for me... unless we start talking about memory. If he's got his memory above 3200MHz, suggest he tries dialling it back to 3200 and then pushing it back up bit by bit.

Zen 3 is really difficult when it comes to memory and a fault there can cascade down.

Associate
Solid as a rock for me... unless we start talking about memory. If he's got his memory above 3200MHz, suggest he tries dialling it back to 3200 and then pushing it back up bit by bit.

Zen 3 is really difficult when it comes to memory and a fault there can cascade down.

100% agree with this, my 5950X was a total random mess until I dropped the speed down to 3200.

I've had 2 complete system reboots out of the blue since, but I put this down to Nvidia as it's only ever done it in games.

Soldato
I've personally found most problems occur when I've upgraded my cpu to summat faster and then get issues, I'll check the memory voltage and 9 times outta 10, the ram voltage has defaulted to 1.2v, where it should be 1.35v (when running any ram around 3000mhz and higher.) reset it and all is good again.

Caporegime
Only when I start messing around with undervolting and changing negative offset numbers.

This, if i set Negative offset too high i'll get completely random crashing, it can be fine in games or heavier workloads and then while watching Youtube... boom, auto restart, if i set it at a less aggressive level it is rock solid.

Associate
5800X, ASUS TUF B550, b-dies tweaked to 3733CL14 - rock solid, two weeks ago I finally got RTX 3070, playing Warzone every day and never got a single crash and this game is unstable even on rock solid builds, other games works as well. Tweaking memory was pain, but any errors I got were TM5 ones or WHEA if I went too far with FCLK, other than that, 100% stability.

Soldato
I've had a 5800X running in my B450 tomahawk max now for 6 weeks with ram running 1900/3800CL16 and it's been rock solid with no crashes.

Soldato
5600x here, getting reboots when initially starting games or in menu's but never under full load.

Division 2 reboots my machine instantly, can't even get to the first screen.

Back
Top Bottom