Ryzen 5000 PC upgrade sanity check, please

Suspended
When the rush for the 5000 series CPUs is over I expect to be upgrading. 6+6 cores just doesn't cut it so I'll be looking at something like the below in a Thermaltake V21 MATX case. I'd appreciate your thoughts and observations.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £839.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

I'll transfer my two SSDs, 850W PSU, Dark Rock Pro CPU cooler, and RTX 2080 Ti from my current system. I won't bother with a NVME drive until it's actually needed.

With regards to the V21, I wish they'd put the PSU on the other side.

I could take the opportunity to go for 64 GB, but I don't - yet - use anywhere near 32 GB.

I'll be looking carefully at the RX 6900 when it appears as well as Nvidia's response.

Paging @Plec, @orbitalwalsh, and the other regulars to the thread.

Hey, @Quartz

I like the mITX board - reviews well and consistently if WiFi not needed. I, personally, would get Crucial Ballistix 32GB (2 x 16GB) with tighter timings 16 18 18 38 and ~£140 - quality E-Die too. It's cheaper and, although negligible gains, the tighter timings benefit Ryzen and seems a no-brainer coupled with the cheaper cost - depending on availability (your 32GB seems valid - even with only 2 slots available). I also like the choice of B550 - compared to x570, if the features are not needed: better VRMs for the price, built around Zen 3 and by the time you're ready for an NVMe it will probably be a healthy 2Tb+ drive...

Very envious of the 5900X and arguably the best value in their current range - again this would be my choice out of their current release if i needed to upgrade. From all the rumours (deliberate leaks) - fantastic CPU!!!

With the additional 6Gb of memory and cheaper price the RX6900 certainly looks appealing on paper - especially if they get the driver/firmware running smoothly right out of the gate. Again, this would be my choice, if you could get on release (price), as even if it did have teething issues history proves these cards always come into their own - and if reviews prove as promising as the leaks your total build will mighty and excellent value.

NVMe/SSD decision makes logical and fiscal sense as you know there's little advantage in upgrading, especially given your case size and its SSD accommodation; so ventilation is not exactly an issue/unrestricted (Remembering, from a previous thread your quest for silence and location of PC).

@Gray2233 may have some thoughts - lots of experience and articulates his opinions very well (although his taste in women is dubious but fortunately wont affect any decisions within this topic :D)

**Unfortunately, @orbitalwalsh doesn't have access to this 'specific' forum - he was permabanned a couple of years ago for dropping hints (he has the subtly of brick wrapped in lead weights). Personally, i think it needs reviewing as he's a big asset to the forums and has a gift of pulling @tamzzy and I into threads we have overlooked. I find myself in in the Full Systems Forum quite frequently now (he still has access) and i never ventured there before he was banned from here - so he has other skills they should consider if they ever do review his forum access. He's an asset they need to let loose again; as his amiable manner engages other forum members - this is a useful tool...

...food for thought of they get to read this.

Very envious of the 5900X and arguably the best value in their current range

Everywhere's sold out now, of course, but I'm not in a hurry. It looks like my eclipse trip is going to be cancelled so I should have an influx of cash. :)

I, personally, would get Crucial Ballistix 32GB (2 x 16GB) with tighter timings 16 18 18 38 and ~£140 - quality E-Die too.

Noted.

The Mortar is a great board for the price, if I was going for an M-ATX build it's the board I would pick. While not the strongest VRM's they're still a significant improvement over any B450 and on par with some of the better X570 boards around the £200 mark. Funnily enough the wi-fi version was cheaper than the standard the other week while on sale, so it's worth double checking before you put the order in. MSI was doing a cashback promotion last I checked so it could be worth seeing if the parts you're looking at are applicable.

The 5900X is definitely the best of the current line up, the 5800X is a bit expensive for my tastes given it's an 8 core product and I'd argue that 8 cores is sort of the minimum consideration for anyone that likes to keep their hardware for a decent length of time.

The 6900 is an interesting proposition to be sure, especially since you'll be able to take advantage of AMD's new memory tech'. I think the 6800 launches in a couple of weeks, so we'll get to see the technology in action as well as gain a ballpark estimation on the later releasing 6900.

@Plec Nothing wrong with a bit of young Widders! ;)

Back
Top Bottom