• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5000 series, CPU Quality

Associate
does anyone know anything about the Quality of the Chips? we know that AMD are able to do what they do with the current line or and previous ones by having multiple chips on board but what I read on reddit by a user has made me think about the quality of the Ryzen chips

a user had a 5600x which had 2 x CCX basically a faulty 5900x or 5950x that didnt make it, in Ryzen software it didnt recognise it properly, this made me wonder does anyone else have experience with this ?

he also checked on HWinfo and it showed the second CCX on his 5600x

Associate
Yeah there are definitely R5/R7 chips out there with a second CCX. It’s thought to affect potential O/C but it’s not biggie.

Probably the more interesting question is whether we can unlock the extra cores as apparently they’re only disabled via software/firmware, rather than laser etching.

Last edited:
Associate
For Zen3, a single CCX contains 8 cores.

For Zen3, a CCD contains a single CCX whereas with Zen2, a single CCD contained 2 CCX's because on that design, a single CCX only contained 4 cores. The move from 4 to 8 cores on a single CCX is part of what has given Zen3 the significant boost over Zen2.

During the manufacturing process, 1 or 2 of those cores in the CCX could be bad cores (dead or just not up to scratch). If 1 or 2 are bad, they shut them down and you have a 6 core CCX whereas if all are good, you have an 8 core CCX.

What does this look like for the current Zen3 lineup.
  • 5600X - 1 CCX (2 shut down cores) and 1 CCD
  • 5800X - 1 CCX (0 shut down cores) and 1 CCD
  • 5900X - 2 CCX (each has 2 shut down cores) and 2 CCD
  • 5950X - 2 CCX (0 shut down cores) and 2 CCD
The manufacturing process isn't perfect so this helps improve effeciency but doesn't necessarily mean a drop in quality i.e. Just because 1 or 2 are bad, doesn't mean the rest are bad.

Associate
does anyone know anything about the Quality of the Chips? we know that AMD are able to do what they do with the current line or and previous ones by having multiple chips on board but what I read on reddit by a user has made me think about the quality of the Ryzen chips

a user had a 5600x which had 2 x CCX basically a faulty 5900x or 5950x that didnt make it, in Ryzen software it didnt recognise it properly, this made me wonder does anyone else have experience with this ?

he also checked on HWinfo and it showed the second CCX on his 5600x

Their quality is "industry standard".

Both AMD and Intel use formal methods for proving out their RTL designs.

AMD are using a hugely popular and now mature 7nm TSMC for compute chiplets and a very mature 12Nm GloFo for the IO dies.

Dies are assembled and packaged then tested comprehensively, some may fail after assembly, however blow a few fuses and you've still got a working product. You get what is specified and nothing less. There shouldn't be any reduction in quality or capability.

Just remember, no product is perfect. All manufacturing has tolerances, yields and flaws. You get what is specified or you get a refund/replacement.

Associate
For Zen3, a single CCX contains 8 cores.

For Zen3, a CCD contains a single CCX whereas with Zen2, a single CCD contained 2 CCX's because on that design, a single CCX only contained 4 cores. The move from 4 to 8 cores on a single CCX is part of what has given Zen3 the significant boost over Zen2.

During the manufacturing process, 1 or 2 of those cores in the CCX could be bad cores (dead or just not up to scratch). If 1 or 2 are bad, they shut them down and you have a 6 core CCX whereas if all are good, you have an 8 core CCX.

What does this look like for the current Zen3 lineup.
  • 5600X - 1 CCX (2 shut down cores) and 1 CCD
  • 5800X - 1 CCX (0 shut down cores) and 1 CCD
  • 5900X - 2 CCX (each has 2 shut down cores) and 2 CCD
  • 5950X - 2 CCX (0 shut down cores) and 2 CCD
The manufacturing process isn't perfect so this helps improve effeciency but doesn't necessarily mean a drop in quality i.e. Just because 1 or 2 are bad, doesn't mean the rest are bad.

I've heard the same thing as the OP though; some 5600X and 5800X cores appear to have two CCX's.

How can you tell if it's dual or single chiplet CPU? I thought they should all be single? I'm guessing mine is single seeing as it can hit nearly 87 degrees with pbo2 left to run rampant.
CTR (Clock Tuner for Ryzen) can do this, the Zen 3 update is around the corner (end of jan) and will deliver that functionality proerly. However during testing the coder found instances of chips which should have one CCX, posessing two. Apparently they;re not 100% shut off and can be seen in a deep sleep mode, so yeah could contribute to temps.

Associate
I've heard the same thing as the OP though; some 5600X and 5800X cores appear to have two CCX's.

I personally haven't heard about any instances but just did a bit of research and found the CTR article.

Sounds like they're failed 5900x i.e. they couldn't boost high enough on both CCX but are fine as 5600x.

Associate
I personally haven't heard about any instances but just did a bit of research and found the CTR article.

Sounds like they're failed 5900x i.e. they couldn't boost high enough on both CCX but are fine as 5600x.
It's interesting eh. Can't wait to peek under the lid of my CPU.

Soldato
I find intel is happy to sit at its 90c throttle point all day long where as with amd it will crash at times. To me that says actual silicon or manufacturing quality is better with intel.

Man of Honour
I find intel is happy to sit at its 90c throttle point all day long where as with amd it will crash at times. To me that says actual silicon or manufacturing quality is better with intel.
Couldn't that have something to do with the manufacturing process though? 14nm is super mature and it is bigger, so easier to cool.

Soldato
a user had a 5600x which had 2 x CCX basically a faulty 5900x or 5950x that didnt make it

I'm confused by this. A failed 5900X would yield a pair of 6-core chiplets, therefore creating 2 5600Xs. A 2-CCD 5600X would mean 3 cores on each chiplet, and I don't fully believe that if I'm honest (although not outside the realms of possibility). TSMC's 7nmn process is so mature now that such junk chiplets would likely be discarded or repurposed for an upcoming Athlon, or possibly EPYC if the silicon is power efficient at the lower clock speeds.

Can you link the article, Mesai?

Soldato
I'm confused by this. A failed 5900X would yield a pair of 6-core chiplets, therefore creating 2 5600Xs. A 2-CCD 5600X would mean 3 cores on each chiplet, and I don't fully believe that if I'm honest (although not outside the realms of possibility). TSMC's 7nmn process is so mature now that such junk chiplets would likely be discarded or repurposed for an upcoming Athlon, or possibly EPYC if the silicon is power efficient at the lower clock speeds.

Can you link the article, Mesai?
I think what happens is a 5900X fails the stress testing so AMD disables one CCX and badges it up as a 5600X.

Soldato
I think what happens is a 5900X fails the stress testing so AMD disables one CCX and badges it up as a 5600X.
Y'know, 2 seconds after I posted I thought to myself "Shakey, you're such a dufus, what happens if the assembled 5900X fails its stress testing?" So yeah, cheers dude :D I was coming at it from binning the chiplets before the Matisse package is assembled, totally didn't occur to me that a 5900X-quality chiplet could've been nuked by assembly.

Soldato
Y'know, 2 seconds after I posted I thought to myself "Shakey, you're such a dufus, what happens if the assembled 5900X fails its stress testing?" So yeah, cheers dude :D I was coming at it from binning the chiplets before the Matisse package is assembled, totally didn't occur to me that a 5900X-quality chiplet could've been nuked by assembly.
It probably also happens with 5950Xs being repurposed to 5800Xs, make sense for AMD to do this rather than toss the chip entirely and I would imagen it has no effect for the end user other than maybe getting a slightly better binned higher clocking 5600X or 5800X as the good chiplet would have still passed for a 5900X/5950X.

Associate
It probably also happens with 5950Xs being repurposed to 5800Xs, make sense for AMD to do this rather than toss the chip entirely and I would imagen it has no effect for the end user other than maybe getting a slightly better binned higher clocking 5600X or 5800X as the good chiplet would have still passed for a 5900X/5950X.

Would it make a difference to memory latency do you think?

Back
Top Bottom