Ryzen 5600X Cooler

Soldato
I am a big fan of the Noctuas.

I have a NH-D14 which is sensational.

You could go for a NH-D15. I think it comes in black now.

Its huge so make sure it fits if you buy one.

Might be over kill for a 5600x, but I bought mine with my 3570k and I am still using it today.

Soldato
Would just use the stock cooler till you can source a bracket either from OCUK or somewhere else as it seems a bit of a waste buying a whole new cooler.

Associate
The 5600x is by no means a power hungry cpu and whilst gaming I have never seen my 5900x go over 110w, 5900x is 2 5600x in one chip so twice as much potential power draw.

The NH14 is an amazing air cooler but massively overkill for a low wattage cpu like the 5600x. I hate to agree with Joxeon again but you should just use the stock cooler until you can get a bracket for your current cooler

If you really want something now.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £32.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

A lot cheaper than NH14 and will do the job for a low power cpu really well.

Associate
OP
Thanks All,

Intention was to move my I5-7600K to my son's old I5-3570 build which has soldiered on for nearly 10 Years, unfortunately the Cryorig AM4 Bracket is out of stock with no lead time - hence thinking about the the Brocken 3.

Sven

Soldato
unfortunately the Cryorig AM4 Bracket is out of stock with no lead time.

Sven

A quick google shows it's available elsewhere.

Also for £6 more you can get a better board, 6layer vs 4 on the elite and better ram.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £471.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Last edited:
Soldato
Would just use the stock cooler till you can source a bracket either from OCUK or somewhere else as it seems a bit of a waste buying a whole new cooler.

THREAD HIJACK!!!

Do you actually get much benefit from an aftermarket cooler with the 5600X? I've seen reports that it runs quite cool and that the supplied Wraith cooler is quite good, so what are you getting for spending the extra money?

Associate
OP
Didn't use it in the end, bought the Brocken 3 dual fan.

Sits quite happily at 29 at idle, around 50 gaming and 75 -80 in cinebench using the supplied paste.

Not sure if that's ok or not coming from a long time intel user.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
THREAD HIJACK!!!

Do you actually get much benefit from an aftermarket cooler with the 5600X? I've seen reports that it runs quite cool and that the supplied Wraith cooler is quite good, so what are you getting for spending the extra money?
Whilst the Wraith is enough for a 5600X, it’s noisy AF.

Associate
Whilst the Wraith is enough for a 5600X, it’s noisy AF.

The stock cooler is appalling for Ryzen 5000, they were ok back on 3000 as PBO made no difference (atleast for early batches) but there is a big difference between stock setup and PBO on with 5000. You can't even use PBO with stock cooler, temps will be ridiculous if you uncap PPT and use motherboard dictated settings and you will get throttling galore on multi core.

R20 for example with PBO on you looking at 4.6 -4.65 sustained multi core with good cooler 72-79c, stock 95c and 4.35 multi core/

My experience from my personal rig and a mate who just built a 5600x machine and used both stock cooler and after market.

Def buy a good cooler unless you just plan to run it without PBO which has much lower multi core clocks 4.2.

Soldato
The stock cooler is appalling for Ryzen 5000, they were ok back on 3000 as PBO made no difference (atleast for early batches) but there is a big difference between stock setup and PBO on with 5000. You can't even use PBO with stock cooler, temps will be ridiculous if you uncap PPT and use motherboard dictated settings and you will get throttling galore on multi core.

R20 for example with PBO on you looking at 4.6 -4.65 sustained multi core with good cooler 72-79c, stock 95c and 4.35 multi core/

My experience from my personal rig and a mate who just built a 5600x machine and used both stock cooler and after market.

Def buy a good cooler unless you just plan to run it without PBO which has much lower multi core clocks 4.2.

What pbo do you suggest?

I've only just bought my 5600x and decided just to run it with out PBO for peace of mind. Bt you make it sound like it is a must to turn it on. (I got a NHD14)

Associate
What pbo do you suggest?

I've only just bought my 5600x and decided just to run it with out PBO for peace of mind. Bt you make it sound like it is a must to turn it on. (I got a NHD14)

Yea it is, there's a big difference where as before on Ryzen 3000 PBO did nothing at all (atleast on my early 3600 that could only hit 4.2 on two cores), on 5000 it uncaps the PPT usage significantly allowing for higher clocks thermals permitting, for example my 5600x will use 116w PPT compared to stock setup which is capped at 77w I think. You got the cooling so if you can stay under 85c it be fine, just run r20/R23 and watch clocks on ryzen master and see the difference between PBO and default yourself. You looking at sustained 4.6-4.65 compared to 4.2 on multi core.

Test using Ryzen master to see what happens but those settings won't apply on boot and need to applied every time, they need to enabled under AMD overclocking Menu in bios > Precision Boost, Auto means off by the way somewhat confusingly so set to Advanced (instead of enabled) as this will give options to use PBO2, then set limits to Motherboard and while you are at it you may as well select Curve optimizer>Per Core and set a very modest Negative 10, this will reduce temps and voltage a bit.

Edit: I have same board as you so i'm interested in your PPT usage if you do this, can you let me know. My mates new 5600x gets same results as me at only 108w, so I'm wondering if its the board or cpu that dictates power used. He has a cheap b450 board and new batch 5600x, mine is first batch.

Last edited:
Associate

This is veeeeery interesting. I recently made a post here as got a 5800x and wasn't expecting temps to be much different to my 3600, and they are through the roof, think it might be defective even.
Horizon zero dawn menus it hits 94c, in game can hit around 90c, and that's at like 0% usage as I'm at 4k. My 3600 never went past 55c in ANY game, ever. 5800x hits high 70s sometimes doing practically nothing in windows.

Op - if what this guy says is true, and my 5800x isn't broken, just get the biggest damn cooler you can fit. I'm limited to a nh-d14 kind of performing nh-c14s as I'm in a HTPC, and feeling the pain now.

I understand the 5000 series are better than 3000 series in benchmarks, now I know why.

Associate
Yea it is, there's a big difference where as before on Ryzen 3000 PBO did nothing at all (atleast on my early 3600 that could only hit 4.2 on two cores), on 5000 it uncaps the PPT usage significantly allowing for higher clocks thermals permitting, for example my 5600x will use 116w PPT compared to stock setup which is capped at 77w I think. You got the cooling so if you can stay under 85c it be fine, just run r20/R23 and watch clocks on ryzen master and see the difference between PBO and default yourself. You looking at sustained 4.6-4.65 compared to 4.2 on multi core.

Test using Ryzen master to see what happens but those settings won't apply on boot and need to applied every time, they need to enabled under AMD overclocking Menu in bios > Precision Boost, Auto means off by the way somewhat confusingly so set to Advanced (instead of enabled) as this will give options to use PBO2, then set limits to Motherboard and while you are at it you may as well select Curve optimizer>Per Core and set a very modest Negative 10, this will reduce temps and voltage a bit.

Edit: I have same board as you so i'm interested in your PPT usage if you do this, can you let me know. My mates new 5600x gets same results as me at only 108w, so I'm wondering if its the board or cpu that dictates power used. He has a cheap b450 board and new batch 5600x, mine is first batch.
Megapinches do you mind if I quote your post in my thread?

Soldato
This is veeeeery interesting. I recently made a post here as got a 5800x and wasn't expecting temps to be much different to my 3600, and they are through the roof, think it might be defective even.
Horizon zero dawn menus it hits 94c, in game can hit around 90c, and that's at like 0% usage as I'm at 4k. My 3600 never went past 55c in ANY game, ever. 5800x hits high 70s sometimes doing practically nothing in windows.

Op - if what this guy says is true, and my 5800x isn't broken, just get the biggest damn cooler you can fit. I'm limited to a nh-d14 kind of performing nh-c14s as I'm in a HTPC, and feeling the pain now.

I understand the 5000 series are better than 3000 series in benchmarks, now I know why.
I'm running a 5800X with a wraith prism and temps don't go over 80c even with prime so it sounds like you either got a dodgy chip or the cooler isn't seated right.

Associate
I'm running a 5800X with a wraith prism and temps don't go over 80c even with prime so it sounds like you either got a dodgy chip or the cooler isn't seated right.
Prism is the higher end amd one that used to come with the 3700 - 3950x? They weren't bad if I remember... I remember my stock 3600 I threw away as junk.

Well the weird thing is prime 95 @ 100% load for 10 mins I've just hit max of 86c which ain't THAT bad for prime, went down to 4300mhz at that temp.

Only thing I can think of is for some reason when gaming it wasn't down clocking the pbo @ all cores from 4850mhz (150mhz over stock) to 4300 like in prime.
Gonna have to download ryzen master to test. Impossible to test on hw monitor.

Tried reseating. More kyronaut on the way as ran out.

Soldato
Prism is the higher end amd one that used to come with the 3700 - 3950x? They weren't bad if I remember... I remember my stock 3600 I threw away as junk.

Well the weird thing is prime 95 @ 100% load for 10 mins I've just hit max of 86c which ain't THAT bad for prime, went down to 4300mhz at that temp.

Only thing I can think of is for some reason when gaming it wasn't down clocking the pbo @ all cores from 4850mhz (150mhz over stock) to 4300 like in prime.
Gonna have to download ryzen master to test. Impossible to test on hw monitor.

Tried reseating. More kyronaut on the way as ran out.
If it's getting hot in gaming then it's probably down to the GPU heating up the case.

Back
Top Bottom