• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5800 XT Temps

Soldato
Its not the year 2000 people, most chips can hit 100c and be fine as they downclock themselves to stay alive.

To kill a CPU these days with heat is hard as nails. High temps are fine for short term but you need to try and keep it down for the overall life expectancy.

5800x's are hot potatoes thats for sure. ;)

I agree with the comments AMD are just being greedy MOFO's as with any big company.

Associate
Its not the year 2000 people, most chips can hit 100c and be fine as they downclock themselves to stay alive.

To kill a CPU these days with heat is hard as nails. High temps are fine for short term but you need to try and keep it down for the overall life expectancy.

I agree with the comments AMD are just being greedy MOFO's as with any big company.
I would say that's going to turn out in the span of like 5-10 years if these chips really start dying out you can say that.
I think people are just way too paranoid when it comes to this. I've had a 1 year internship in a computer workshop and one of the workers told me that in all the 20 years he has been working there they maybe had a dead cpu once or twice, if you disregarded broken pins. And keep in mind most of this time is also before cpus even had throttling and would hit 100c sometimes.

Soldato
I would say that's going to turn out in the span of like 5-10 years if these chips really start dying out you can say that.
I think people are just way too paranoid when it comes to this. I've had a 1 year internship in a computer workshop and one of the workers told me that in all the 20 years he has been working there they maybe had a dead cpu once or twice, if you disregarded broken pins. And keep in mind most of this time is also before cpus even had throttling and would hit 100c sometimes.

I have been building computers since 1999 and I have had not a single CPU fail except. The Cyrix CPUs had a habbit of failing on the FPU compute units but thats it.

Its hard to kill silicone, if you push it super hard its just a "Computer says No!" and it fails to boot.

I think the last thing to fail in a computer is the CPU everything else is either bad memory, bad motherboard, bad PSU, HD fails and the kick in the nuts worst fail, is a laptop monitor backlight fail. Impossible to repair unless you want to spend a small fortune. :p

Soldato
Unless you have an Nvidia card cooking everything in the case!
The high end AMD cards will pull 400w too if you push them besides if your concerned with temps then just undervolt as you sacrifice 5% performance for a card that don't break 60C.

Soldato
The high end AMD cards will pull 400w too if you push them besides if your concerned with temps then just undervolt as you sacrifice 5% performance for a card that don't break 60C.

I got shut of the Nvidia card so I’m no longer concerned, but the on GPU temp has nothing to do with the heat output of Ampere cards. We’ve had is conversation before.

Dropping the voltage 5% isn’t going to make any difference.

Associate
I have been building computers since 1999 and I have had not a single CPU fail except. The Cyrix CPUs had a habbit of failing on the FPU compute units but thats it.

Its hard to kill silicone, if you push it super hard its just a "Computer says No!" and it fails to boot.

I think the last thing to fail in a computer is the CPU everything else is either bad memory, bad motherboard, bad PSU, HD fails and the kick in the nuts worst fail, is a laptop monitor backlight fail. Impossible to repair unless you want to spend a small fortune. :p
Absolutely agree.

The thing is many just take the lifespan too serious, it's just as SSDs, You might have been skeptic at first getting a 150TB TBW one, but then after realizing how slowly it degrades, I didn't even have a second thought when I saw my current sn850 Gen4 NVME with 600TB TBW. The old SSD is only at 30.8TB TBW after like 4.5 years btw...

Soldato
I got shut of the Nvidia card so I’m no longer concerned, but the on GPU temp has nothing to do with the heat output of Ampere cards. We’ve had is conversation before.

Dropping the voltage 5% isn’t going to make any difference.
Maybe the coolers on nvidia cards are better made then if they are more efficient at removing heat.

Soldato
Maybe the coolers on nvidia cards are better made then if they are more efficient at removing heat.

Maybe, but I’m pretty sure outside of the official cards the HSF arrangement from 3rd party manufactures is very similar across Nvidia and AMD cards. Maybe even the same on some models.

Shrugs shoulders.

Soldato
Yeah speaking of that just recently bought myself a GPU support, it's even RGB so +20% FPS ;)

Just tip the case on it’s side, drop your monitor on top and enjoy the full 80’s beige box IBM desktop experience.

IIRC BFG used to have a strip of 90 degree aluminium to support the cards.

V F

V F

Soldato

Athlon Thunderbirds exploding on high temperatures. Those were the days. I think they hit 300C?

Back
Top Bottom