• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7 7700 or 7800X3D

Associate
I have finally decided to bite the bullet and hop onto the AM5 platform having just recently purchased an X670e Tomahawk. I am currently debating which processor to buy as my time on the PC is split between playing a well known MMO, creating music with Cubase and generating multi-layered vector graphics (currently using Inkscape, but will be switching to Abode when it is released). From what i can gather WoW benefits a bit from the 3D cache yet Cubase benefits both from a high clock speed as well as a high core count. There is not a lot of information regarding the 7800X3D and musical content creation so i am leaning towards the 7700, however i figured i would post here to see if anyone else has a different perspective.

Associate
OP
If your budget allows sounds like the 7950X3D would be ideal for your usage.
Whilst theoretically i could stretch that far, it is an extra £200 which i could spend on a decent mechanical keyboard seeing as my current one has moderately non responsive keys and is non hot swappable ;)

Associate
OP
Consider then the 7900X3D which is a good match for Cubase, especially if it's for work but if it's just for fun and side projects the 7800X3D will do the job and cost a fair bit less.
Given there is not a huge price difference between the 7700, 7700X and the 7800X3D this may be the answer i need. Steinberg do make mention to the 3D Cache being useful and i have read other forums which have made mention to it being useful when working with sample libraries. Next year i will very much be in song writing mode for the band that i am in, however it is hobbyist level.

Man of Honour
If you can afford it, I'd definitely get the X3D. WoW is one of the games that seems to love it and that might go for other MMOs too. If you definitely needed the cores I'd suggest the 7900, but since you don't, you might as well have the cache.

I often suggest the 7700 for budget conscious builds where you can re-use the cooler, but I wouldn't buy it when the X3D is in easy reach and doesn't mean you have to make sacrifices elsewhere.

G J

G J

Associate
The X3D is within £10 of the 7700X and only £30 more than the 7700 and also you get the Avatar game with it. Also I think this is the lowest ever price the 7800X3D has been at so far.

The Avatar game is not included with the 7700/7700X.

Associate
OP
I was up to the wee small hours this morning and noticed the price drop so bought one... Just the memory to get now and then i am sorted... for now ;)

Reactions: G J
Associate
7700X is like 5800X3D, 7800X3D is noticeably better specifically in games. 7950X3D would be the best of both worlds between gaming and productivity but they refuse to give it a proper discount so far x)

Associate
I was up to the wee small hours this morning and noticed the price drop so bought one... Just the memory to get now and then i am sorted... for now ;)
Keep in mind that you want to have 2 RAM sticks max (4 is a can of worms you don't want to deal with as of right now). If you need A LOT of RAM, 2x48GB is your maximum for now.

Back
Top Bottom