S2000 owners thread. 9,000 RPM of goodness in here.

Don
Test print out of PLA

0zI4IVx.jpeg

Seems to fit just fine. Just need to clean up the design and then I'll print it in carbon-fibre reinforced nylon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Test print out of PLA

0zI4IVx.jpeg

Seems to fit just fine. Just need to clean up the design and then I'll print it in carbon-fibre reinforced nylon.

Is there any end to your talent?

Amazing. How does one even get started with 3D printing? It's something I've admired from a far as an engineer/machinist myself.

What's the cost of material for something like that, and printing time?

Don
Well, 3d printing is easy. You buy a machine from Bambu Lab and then print things. Easy. Cost of entry for something like an A1 mini (which is what I printed the holder on for test) is around £200. My main machine is around £1500 though.
The bit that takes the time to learn is CAD.

Cost in PLA for the test print is about 50p. The final print in carbon fibre nylon will be about £3 henace printing it in PLA first to test.

Soldato
Well, 3d printing is easy. You buy a machine from Bambu Lab and then print things. Easy. Cost of entry for something like an A1 mini (which is what I printed the holder on for test) is around £200. My main machine is around £1500 though.
The bit that takes the time to learn is CAD.

Cost in PLA for the test print is about 50p. The final print in carbon fibre nylon will be about £3 henace printing it in PLA first to test.

Sounds like the hobby could become a slippery slope/big old rabbit hole :D

I have limited experience with CAD through work, but sort of get by. But then each program is different!

Looks great, take it for a spin in the rain later and see how it handles your beverage :)

Don
Will do. I need to take my son to swimming practice later so we shall see how annoyed he gets with it on his side of the car and see whether it falls over. I don't think it will. It's pretty secure but easy to remove.
I could have done it with a more solid mount and screws but my additions to the S2000 cannot, under any circumstances require drilling or cutting of the original car. I have set a hard rule that anything and everything I do to the car much be easily reversible.

I have another mod to show you later today too. I think you might like it.

Soldato
Will do. I need to take my son to swimming practice later so we shall see how annoyed he gets with it on his side of the car and see whether it falls over. I don't think it will. It's pretty secure but easy to remove.
I could have done it with a more solid mount and screws but my additions to the S2000 cannot, under any circumstances require drilling or cutting of the original car. I have set a hard rule that anything and everything I do to the car much be easily reversible.

I have another mod to show you later today too. I think you might like it.

I'd agree with that too, as long as it can be removed then all is good :)

Don
Works perfectly. No coffee spilled and Tadeusz reported "It's not so annoying tbh".
I'll print it in a more appropriate material once one of the machines isn't busy with other jobs.

Soldato
Works perfectly. No coffee spilled and Tadeusz reported "It's not so annoying tbh".
I'll print it in a more appropriate material once one of the machines isn't busy with other jobs.

Great work, I'll see if I can come up with any other minor gripes to inspire more of this creativity :D

Just took a quick blast to get a pudding to take to my dad's 1 hour round trip to Sainsbury's.

That 6k band is so fun

Don
Right. Next bit of modification / design.
I've put some pretty decent hifi in the S2000 but I was having to have the front speakers crazy loud in order to hear them over the road noise. I really wanted some rears to give me a bit of back-fill. Later S2000s come with 2, tiny little spekers int he roll hoops that cound crap. No good. I wanted some nice, Focal 5.25" drivers if possible.
Now, I'd seen some people mount speakers in the roll hoops before. There's even someone selling a really poorly designed set on Etsy for like £200. Yeah, no. I'll design my own thanks, with blackjack and hookers.

Any solution cannot involve cutting or modifying any of the panels by the way. A red line for this.

A quick scan of the roll hoops with Revopoint Miraco.

XViHzYM.png

Over to Autodesk Fusion (via Instant Meshes to get a quad-mesh) and we have a solid to work from.

GuwK8E6.png

I designed a simple speaker enclosure and then did a boolean cut of the roll hoop against it. Then split it down the middle. This gave a perfect negative of the roll hoop and could be clamped together without drilling anything in the S2000.

yhy89su.png

wl2XgyN.png

After a few iterations, I had something I was happy with so did a quick print and test fit in PLA.

krMsv92.jpeg

9p5Zn2o.jpeg

A couple more iterations and then a print in carbon-fibre nylon.

s8DFjd8.jpeg

Nice.

Fitted to the car

Szf71Pb.jpeg

Yes, the wire is there because I haven't decided where to route it yet without cutting anything.

jl12b2t.jpeg

agJYXoY.jpeg

YqKFfxC.jpeg

Ot0yTeu.jpeg

Fb0P8vp.jpeg

I added some silly panels to cover up the bolt holes. These clip in place.

abZbbh0.jpeg

And I can report that it sounds fantastic. I had to mess with the speakers delays and balance a lot but I can now say that the hifi sounds amazing.

Soldato
Super only

I assume normal is ok in a pinch? I've gone for Super, cap says 95-98 so I imagine normal will do, but super is preferred?

That's great work and funnily enough, I was thinking the sound was too quiet!

Out of interest, is this what you do for work aswell? Clearly very skilled in this department! Hats off.

I'll take a set ;) :D

Well done

Don
It runs so much better on Super. You can run it on normal in a pinch though.

No, I don't do this for a living. All self taught and it's just a hobby. I'm actually a technical services director for a college!

Soldato
It runs so much better on Super. You can run it on normal in a pinch though.

No, I don't do this for a living. All self taught and it's just a hobby. I'm actually a technical services director for a college!

Nice! Great to be able to think something up, prototype it and produce it yourself

Back
Top Bottom