Sad News all OSx86 Users

Associate
Sad News all OSx86 Users, but appears the OSx86 Forum has now been taken offline,

We're sorry to report that despite our best efforts, the OSx86 Project has been served with a DMCA violation notice. The forum will be unavailable while we evaluate its contents to remove any violations present. We thank you for your patience in this matter.

Hope they are back soon.

Win2OSX is also down, could be related.

A real shame but as much as i like apple hardware and software (got an ibook & pod) they are one of the most substantially 'evil' companies around. Two of the most evil things around now are DRM and TPM, both of which apple have deployed widely.

('evil' in the computing sense, not the biblical sense)

OllyM said:
It's against the licence agreement to run OSX on anything other than Apple supplied hardware I believe.

Pretty much, basically it's because Apple have protection (TPM I think it's called), which basically prevents it from installing / running on other x86 systems. The OSx86 project attempts to get around this and violates the license agreement regardless whether you own a full legal copy or not.

ah, fair enuf..
I've always been of the oppinion that once you have paid for a pice of software, you SHOULD be perfectly entitled to run it on whatever hardware you can.. If you don't like it don't buy it i guess.

Guess thats why i'm a linux person...

i dont see the problem with people try to get it working on x86. All they have to do is say "no support, no help, and we've taken the lock out so you can install it on anything you like now".

no illegal sites, only LEGAL sites that help with running it on x86. Everybody's happy.

james.miller said:
i dont see the problem with people try to get it working on x86. All they have to do is say "no support, no help, and we've taken the lock out so you can install it on anything you like now".

no illegal sites, only LEGAL sites that help with running it on x86. Everybody's happy.
Because a large proportion of Apple customers purchase their hardware specifically for the operating system. If they were able to run OSX on any old run-of-the-mill hardware, they wouldn't buy Apple hardware and as such, Apple would lose a heck of a lot of money.

Plus, I expect 95% of people who are interested in running OSX on x86 hardware would obtain a copy of the operating system illegally, so Apple wouldn't make much money on that front.

At the moment the main reason that it is illegal is that there is no legal channel in which to buy the X86 version of the OS X OS.

When the universal binaries are released then you can buy it legally, but again I still don't think that Apple will lift the lock off of the software to allow other machines to use it.

Rich

osx86project is back online now...

win2OSX isn't

They were just told to remove all links to the 10.4.4 installation

TotalImmortal said:
ah, fair enuf..
I've always been of the oppinion that once you have paid for a pice of software, you SHOULD be perfectly entitled to run it on whatever hardware you can.. If you don't like it don't buy it i guess.

Guess thats why i'm a linux person...

I believe you should be allowed to do whatever you like with it too. However, even that doesn't necessarily mean you can tell everyone about it.

God forbid people using illegal copies of OSX. After all, the only way to get hold of a copy of OSX for x86 is buying an Intel Mac or downloading it. Boxed copies of OSX from the Apple Store etc. aren't Intel compatible.

Back
Top Bottom