.....safe to buy a second hand iPad Pro?

Soldato
Hi guys,

Need some advice please.

I have bought an iPad Pro from fleabay ...it’s only 2 weeks old ..but the seller has bought it on a Vodafone contract.

So my concern is ....what will happen if he stops paying the bill on that contract 6 months down the line?

Obviously Vodafone may cut off the SIM card .... it can they also block the iPad?

Thanks

Soldato
They might be able to block the ipad from 4G but I'd guess everything else would work, personally I would never buy something like that second hand because of issues like this, if they can track down that pad and the original owner stops payments it's possible my law that they reclaim it, like a used car on finance.

Associate
I would expect it to work the same was as a phone, if its reported stolen then the tablet will be blocked at IEMI level so it can't accept a UK sim.
The other type of lock is an icloud lock and I assume you have received it fully reset without another icloud attached so you should be good.

Associate
Hi guys,

Need some advice please.

I have bought an iPad Pro from fleabay ...it’s only 2 weeks old ..but the seller has bought it on a Vodafone contract.

So my concern is ....what will happen if he stops paying the bill on that contract 6 months down the line?

Obviously Vodafone may cut off the SIM card .... it can they also block the iPad?

Thanks

I had the same sort of problem after I bought one from this very forum. It was a cellular iPad Pro which was boxed and sealed, locked to EE and worked perfectly for 3 months or so. All of a sudden, it wouldn't register on the cellular network. I spoke to EE who told me it had been blacklisted and to get it off this blacklist, the previous owner had to pay the bill. I got in touch with the owner who was not in a position to pay what he owed to EE so I was stuck with a half working iPad. I was gutted. The seller partially refunded me after we agreed a sum and I gave it to my wife who uses/needs it only on a wifi connection. I then bought a brand new 10.5" model, which I still have to this day. I'll be honest, the whole situation left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I don't think id buy another Apple device which is locked to a network.

Commissario
I had the same sort of problem after I bought one from this very forum. It was a cellular iPad Pro which was boxed and sealed, locked to EE and worked perfectly for 3 months or so. All of a sudden, it wouldn't register on the cellular network. I spoke to EE who told me it had been blacklisted and to get it off this blacklist, the previous owner had to pay the bill. I got in touch with the owner who was not in a position to pay what he owed to EE so I was stuck with a half working iPad. I was gutted. The seller partially refunded me after we agreed a sum and I gave it to my wife who uses/needs it only on a wifi connection. I then bought a brand new 10.5" model, which I still have to this day. I'll be honest, the whole situation left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I don't think id buy another Apple device which is locked to a network.
I'm not sure this is Apple's fault to be honest, buying an item that's tied to a contract is always going to carry an element of risk unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom