Safe to leave pc running on its side?

Associate
Hello,

I'm thinking of putting my file server pc on its side in a wardrobe (so the tower looks like a desktop) I'm worried about the hard drives being run 24/7 on their side, would this damage them?

Thanks,
Harb.

Caporegime
No it wont, ps2s were designed in the same way, they stand upright and the hard drive is on its side ive used my ps2 with a hdd for years and it hasnt damaged it. The mass of a hdd is too small for gravity to have an effect on its performance.

Associate
In the end, they dont design cases to that level of thermodynamic circulation. When youre talking about the circulation being affected by being on its side, youll be referring to thermodynamics in an enclosed space. The fans will have more effect than the natural movement of hot air, so as long as the fans still work, you wont notice any heat difference.

Associate
I run my computer on its side no problem, I have the side case door off and apart from dust build up which needs cleaning weekly it runs a lot cooler.

The noise from the fans is overloud but I wear headphones most of the time anyway.

Hard drives have a vacume inside and are designed to run perpendicular if requred.

Associate
OP
thanks for the replys. the pc is a dell dimension 1100. looks like having it on its side shouldnt be a problem then. thanks guys.

yer_averagejoe, i thought that extra gravity pull might be on the heads, but should i need to reformat it in its new position?

Associate
Don't worry about formatting in the new position, load of rubbish. Just sling it in there, the drives wont care what orientation they are in. The spindles and heads are so well balanced and secured that it doesn't matter which way up they are. The only problem you may have is with it being in a cupboard and overheating. I don't think you will have this problem, just keep an eye open.

Back
Top Bottom