Samsung 1TB 860 QVO

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
You know you can get NVMe drives for similar cost. Sabrant Rocket 2TB is a bit over £200 and comes with a 5 year warranty when registered. Not sure why OcUK do not sell them :confused:

Associate
How many people come close to the TBW amount these drives support. I heavily use my drive and its only up to 8 TBW. I've probably had it a year also.

So the 1TB has 360 TBW. I doubt you would ever reach it before having to get a replacement.

Soldato
But £100 for 1 TB is a bargain? :D

Haha equally as bad really.

I got a 512gb for 95 quid, the 970 Evo, about 2 years ago, but as NVMe seems to be slowly coming more relevant and the amount of games I'm installing onto HDD, at least my perception on value is that 1TB for 100 isn't even worth it, you'd need a good 3TB, and paying 300 quid when it's almost a console price that just for storage!

Soldato
Haha equally as bad really.

I got a 512gb for 95 quid, the 970 Evo, about 2 years ago, but as NVMe seems to be slowly coming more relevant and the amount of games I'm installing onto HDD, at least my perception on value is that 1TB for 100 isn't even worth it, you'd need a good 3TB, and paying 300 quid when it's almost a console price that just for storage!

As with all hardware, prices will come down quickly the more people want them and more are made.
Comparing new tech to console hardware is a poor comparison. Current gen consoles have 7 or 8 year old hardware, next gen (e.g. PS5) will be sold at a loss initially or break even as the money is always made on the games

Soldato
QVO is very good for daily driving. I have 5 x 4TB QVO for storage. I also have one 1TB QVO for Windows 10 installation on a ThinkPad - boots up in a few seconds and didn't degrade at all even if powered off for over 6 months.

My recommendation is to ignore salty owners of TLC trying to justify their purchases. I've been a user of SLC and MLC for over a decade and I've witnessed generations of chains of contempt. For normal usage it's virtually impossible to wear out endurance before capacity becomes obsolete.

Associate
OP
I might get the TeamGroup 1TB Vulcan as it's at a good price but also keeping an eye on Nvme drives. Got about a month to make the decision in anyway.

ADP

ADP

Associate
The Samsung 860 QVO drive will be just fine for a gaming drive. Game drives are mainly just read from and very little data writing happens. So don't worry about the drive degrading.

Soldato
It’s not being salty, it’s simply a case of why pay the same amount for a QLC based drive just because it has Samsung written on it?
OK you make a good point - I didn't check the current prices and you've been right - QVO 1TB is no longer a good choice for GB/£.

Samsung is more experienced in preventing total failure of the drive. Some people (e.g. me) sleep better with Samsung drives. If I run any other brand, I would be obsessed to make full backup of everything including less important data, which would end up more costly.

Soldato
OK you make a good point - I didn't check the current prices and you've been right - QVO 1TB is no longer a good choice for GB/£.

Samsung is more experienced in preventing total failure of the drive. Some people (e.g. me) sleep better with Samsung drives. If I run any other brand, I would be obsessed to make full backup of everything including less important data, which would end up more costly.

And that’s definitely a valid point - the QVO is not a bad drive by any means. As a storage drive for steam games etc, it’s perfect. However I don’t think I’d run it as a main drive, it’s worth paying the extra for the Evo if you’re keen on Samsung as a brand. I must say, as an owner of 850 and 860 Evo, I’m very happy with the software and firmware.

Associate
OP
Been having a look further for a new drive and considering an M.2 Drive. This seems kinda cheap for a 1TB drive compared to a lot of others currently listed - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0b-hd-54n-wd.html. The reviews I've found are from 2017, so is this because it's an older drive?

The more I look the more I find and get confused. Looking at the 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 which seems to be at a pretty decent price point. I have an MSI X99A Sli-Plus mother board that says my M.2 slot is 1 x 2280 Key M(PCIe Gen3 x4/SATA). Would this be a good choice as I've seen people here recommend this drive before.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been having a look further for a new drive and considering an M.2 Drive. This seems kinda cheap for a 1TB drive compared to a lot of others currently listed - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0b-hd-54n-wd.html. The reviews I've found are from 2017, so is this because it's an older drive?
The WD is cheap because it’s has sata speeds for read and write (560mb read and 530mb write) so you will not get the huge speeds of like 3500 read and 2500 write on the more expansive drives.

It’s a SATA drive but in NVMe connection so you get the small, compact and cable free side of things but not the speeds.

Associate
So which drive did you get in the end?
I'm need a 2TB HDD for a specific build and I was considering fitting a 2TB SSD instead and the QVO range looks cheap (but is it any good?)

Associate
OP
I haven't bought anything yet but it's most likely that tomorrow I will order a Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe. It seems to have good reviews and is at a pretty good price at the moment, it's just a shame the OCUK doesn't sell them.

Back
Top Bottom