Samsung Galaxy S7 Multi Window

Associate
Hello I can't seem to get the multi window function to work where you can view 2 apps at the same time. I've followed the instructions on Youtube videos where I longpress and hold the recent ( bottom left) button and nothing happens. Part of me is thinking does this feature only work on Samsung Galaxy S7 edge but loads of videos claim it also works on the normal S7 too. I always have power saving mode turned on but I even switched that off to see if that may have caused an issue but even then it wouldn't do anything. Is there anything anyone has done in settings that have enabled this to work?:mad: or maybe my phone is just very unlucky with this!

Soldato
On the Note 4, you had to turn Multi Window on in the settings/drop down menu in the notifications panel. Then you could swipe from the top left corner to the bottom right and it'd snap into a panel about half the screen size.

Not sure if it's the same on teh S7 but worth a look.

Soldato
I have it activated as standard on my GN7, its handy when watching media say, football and want to catch up on the news or forums so you dont lose the sound/video when ordinarily a new tab would kill the feed.

Associate
It would be useful perhaps if it worked in all apps, but it doesn't. Usually some of the apps that it doesn't work with are the apps you would actually like to use it with.

A bit like the annoying AOD which only displays Samsung notifications.

Samsung are masters of adding half baked features to their phones.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The apps that it doesn't work on need to support multi-window mode. That's not Samsung's problem. Email your favourite app devs if you want to use it in an app that doesn't support it.

Associate
The apps that it doesn't work on need to support multi-window mode. That's not Samsung's problem. Email your favourite app devs if you want to use it in an app that doesn't support it.

Except that Nougat split screen works with ANY app and doesn't need to be developed for it. As I said, half baked.

Associate

I'm fairly sure the developers can't do anything about it, it's a Samsung thing.

Custom ROMs get around this and enable multi window for all apps.

Associate
Where was nougat when Samsung where doing multi window mode 4 years ago?

I'm not really sure I get your point? So Samsung released a half baked feature earlie... yes great as proof of concept, but not terribly useful then or now. As usual someone else took the idea and made it work properly...

Soldato
The point is samsung were doing it when google had no intention to, when the OS didnt support it. Like many android features somebody else had to get there first before google would consider baking it in, such is the nature of an open source OS.

Quite why one is half baked and the other is the stuff unicorns are made of when the only thing that divides them is samsung limited the app support (4 years earlier) and google left it open, is beyond me. Besides which it's already been mentioned that samsung's multi window can be made to support all apps as well, not that either solution is all that practical on a phone except in a handful of cases.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom