Samsung-LC34F791 for gaming?

Associate
It was one of the monitors I was considering. I was very close to pulling the trigger. I'd heard a lot about its deep blacks, vivid colours and good refresh rate. The price wasn't too bad. The negatives seemed to be that the relatively severe curve made things look distorted, and a few people have noticed a few issues with it (can't remember what exactly). I ended up with the X34A for a bit more. It was only slightly more and I was drawn to the G-Sync and wasn't sure if I wanted such a prominent curve.

Associate
OP
It was one of the monitors I was considering. I was very close to pulling the trigger. I'd heard a lot about its deep blacks, vivid colours and good refresh rate. The price wasn't too bad. The negatives seemed to be that the relatively severe curve made things look distorted, and a few people have noticed a few issues with it (can't remember what exactly). I ended up with the X34A for a bit more. It was only slightly more and I was drawn to the G-Sync and wasn't sure if I wanted such a prominent curve.

Yeah think I'll either end up with a X34A or wait for one of the new LG's but can't decide :rolleyes:

Soldato
I have one of these and it works well for gaming for me.

No backlight bleed, good colours, deep blacks, nice refresh rate and I like the curve.

Occasionally see a bit of smearing in very specific circumstances, but it's tolerable overall.

I went for this monitor as I couldn't stomach an ips panel lottery and the quantum dot backlight brings VA colours almost up to ips levels.

Soldato
I had one and it was ok, but in the end I returned it.

The curve is very acute, compared to some and whilst games were ok I had issues with Windows and applications, I just could not get used to the concave look.

Coming from an IPS 1440p BenQ designer monitor I also was not happy with the colours, uniformity and some minor black smearing.

The stand is not good and the way that you need to use a bracket for a Vesa 100 mount is poor.
The rear joystick control is poor in design and implementation.

For the cost I expected much better, but then I often seem to be disappointed when buying a monitor.

Some rate it really well and if it was for games only I might have rated it better, apart from the minor smearing that I noticed.

I will probably keep to IPS for my next choice and just suffer the problems of playing the panel lottery game.

As it is I think that buying a PC monitor os car too stressful as the QC is very poor and inconsistent.

Just buy from a place which is good for returns.

Soldato
I'll have to agree the stand isn't the greatest.

But the colours look good to my eyes. I came from an old viewsonic ips, and they look just as good to me.

Blacks are far better than my old ips.

Unfortunately, no monitor is perfect :(

Soldato
I suppose that is a great factor in buying any monitor is what you are coming from will influence your thoughts and expectations on your new monitor. I doubt that I would be raving over how good the AOC Q3279VWF is and yet it seems well received from those who have bought it.

The blacks on my BenQ IPS are really good and also retain a lot of detail. Looking at the same image on both the monitors I got the impression that some detail was lost in the deep blacks of the VA panelled Samsung. You know how the preset settings would not let you adjust the sharpness, which often meant using a custom profile for the Samsung. The sharpness settings in the preset mode made a mess of the text for reading, but was greyed out for adjustment.

When I placed the Samsung next to the BenQ.....

WaOxdwK.jpg

the colour shift and lack of uniformity etc became more apparent because the BenQ was good in sRGB mode.

I agree with no monitor being perfect, just that there are so many which are really bad....!

Associate
Yeah I agree no monitor is perfect... but then, no product is. However, I have come to notice that some people these days demand perfection due to the price of the thing, but I think you will never be happy if you think like that.

That being said, my X34A does have some bleed, but it's nowhere near as bad as some I've seen and would probably not have accepted it had it been that bad. It'll do me for 5 years or so until we have some better tech.

Associate
Had this monitor and returned (currently waiting for the XG35VQ to release).

The panel itself was jaw dropping but the flimsy build quality and aggressive 1500r curve put me off. I do think 1800r should be the limit when it comes to Ultrawide curves as beyond that it becomes too extreme.

OP i suggest you wait for XG35VQ if your in the market for a gaming Freesync Ultrawide.

Associate
OP
Had this monitor and returned (currently waiting for the XG35VQ to release).

The panel itself was jaw dropping but the flimsy build quality and aggressive 1500r curve put me off. I do think 1800r should be the limit when it comes to Ultrawide curves as beyond that it becomes too extreme.

OP i suggest you wait for XG35VQ if your in the market for a gaming Freesync Ultrawide.

tbh I'd prefer g sync, when does that monitor come out?

Soldato
I wouldn't call it any flimsier build wise than any other modern monitor.

They are all rather thin and plastic these days. I like the design, looks more premium than some of the others with their big clunky bezels.

Soldato
I have found that both NEC and BenQ monitors are pretty well built and solid. Not sure if that applies to all in their range but the BenQ that I currently have is a very solid build.

The Samsung noted here was very flimsy by comparison, remember when I mentioned that mine would tilt to the left, and that I could not tighten up the stand.? Others reported that issue as well. It seemed to tilt due to the weight of the power and monitor cable.

When I tried the 32" Benq 4k monitor that too was built with a very solid style construction.

Back
Top Bottom