Samsung NC10

Associate
bargain open box and refurb nc10,s on ebay

Been looking for one of these excellent netbook this week . Most second hand models were still getting bids of around £175 to £ 200 on eBay
Then by chance I came across argos-clearance eBay shops selling black Samsung nc10,s
For £164.99 and free delivery . Ok they're ex display etc
But l@@k at the savings

Must be one of the best deals around just now

Man of Honour
I would not recommend one today due to the lack of HQ Flash playback performance. Get something with a CrystalHD video accelerator or ION at least, they're not that much more and will have better screens as well otherwise you'll find yourself wanting something that can play Flash and video without stuttering all the time in a few months.

Associate
Been looking for one of these excellent netbook this week . Most second hand models were still getting bids of around £175 to £ 200 on eBay
Then by chance I came across argos-clearance eBay shops selling black Samsung nc10,s
But l@@k at the savings

My mate got one but sadly its the 3 cell version for the clearance shop, there usual online catalogue is carrying the full uk 6cell version for very very cheap but not as cheap as yours.

I have another downside for you, your warranty is not with samsung but a company in the midlands.

Associate
I installed a Crystal HD decoder in my NC10 yesterday and now im trying to get HD flash to play perfectly.....
One thing I think is holding it back is the CPU keeps throttling back to 800mhz. I can't get Easy Battery Manager to install under Win7, despite using the Win7 version off the Samsung website.
Even under "high performance" in mobility center it is throttling back.

I have tried turning a few things on and off in the bios to no avail, anyone know how to keep the CPU at 1.6ghz even when running on battery?, it throttles under mains power also.

I just want no CPU throttling at all ever.

Man of Honour
You can't get Flash HD working on the NC10 because it doesn't have a Video accelerator.

The 945GSE chipset the NC10 uses is not capable of video acceleration but with CoreAVC it's capable of below average local 720p playback, it will get stuttery in heavy fast motion scenes but FlashHD is out of the question. Even Flash HQ will tax the CPU a lot.

Soldato
You can't get Flash HD working on the NC10 because it doesn't have a Video accelerator.

The 945GSE chipset the NC10 uses is not capable of video acceleration but with CoreAVC it's capable of below average local 720p playback, it will get stuttery in heavy fast motion scenes but FlashHD is out of the question. Even Flash HQ will tax the CPU a lot.
hes installed a decoder card tho

Associate
I installed a Crystal HD decoder in my NC10 yesterday

The latest beta version of flash 10.1, uses hardware acceration for flash, so 720p and even 1080p is possible on the NC10 with the card I installed.

Its goes in the slot the wireless card uses in the NC10.
Playback of 720p and 1080p mkv is then flawless with low cpu usage, around 25%

Google Broadcom Crystal HD BCM70012 for the card I installed, its a great upgrade for the NC10.

All that said, my CPU keeps throttling back, thats what im trying to fix at present, just want to keep it at 1.6ghz always.

Last edited:
Associate
You have to remove the built in wireless card and use that slot, then use a wireless USB dongle.
a lot more info here.

http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?36683

Also note that thread started in October last year, since then Adobe has released a Beta Flash that supports this card (10.1) so HD Youtube should play fine. 720p does, which is plenty for me, but 1080p Flash is still very choppy. Possibly I dont have it tweaked quite right yet and the Flash is still in Beta so it should get better.

As you can see in the clip above though, 1080p video files are easy!
Also Broadcom say that Media Player Classic is now supported but I cant get that to work myself.

Last edited:
Associate
I tried both and neither would work, seems they are not using the card at all and im not sure how to tell them to.
Well I did add a filter and selected the Broadcom card then the playback speeds up to about 2x and there is no audio so im quite at a loss on that one!

Im using something called GOM player which plays fine but is awefull to look at, would much much prefer to use MPC-HC.

Ah just googled MPC-HC video off loading and found a guide, I will have a play with that later. Just needed to google the right words!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm planning getting another NC10, but it's going to be a little project one! :p

The reason for not using my current one is I use it daily, and want to keep it super stable and sorted out, whereas the project one will have loads of mods done, and it's likely it won't like daily use very much. It's also likely that the battery life will be severly dented.

I'm planning on posting a build log, can't decide whether in here or in Case Central, only because that's where most build logs seem to go... :/

Your opinions on where it should go? In here seems to be for more problem solving and stuff, and over there seems to be for mostly Case Modding and other projects to me?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
But l@@k at the savings

I got one of these, and its more or less brand new :)

Don't think it had even been started up once! As when I did it had all the welcome to windows blah blah stuff you get the 1st time you boot up.

Gonna wait till a cheap (£20) deal comes up for a 6 cell battery, then its gonna be perfect :cool:

Permabanned
Seriously why are you all trying to play HD on your NC10's..

IT WAS NOT MADE FOR THAT..

If you want netbook which plays HD video then buy a better netbook, stop trying to bleed the life out of NC10s doing things they are not ment to do.

Soldato

If you want netbook which plays HD video then buy a better netbook, stop trying to bleed the life out of NC10s doing things they are not ment to do.

Or possibly you could not comment on things that clearly interest some, but obviously not yourself?

HD on the NC10 is do-able, and so what if it involves a little modding to make it any more than "just about works"? Some people, shock horror, LIKE DOING THAT!!!!!

Your posts really **** me off and quite honestly you bring nothing to the board what so ever.

Soldato

What are you on about? It's a computer, of course it's made to play HD video.

It requires some software modding, not overclocking or posh GPUs or whatever, just a bit of software modding. Therefore it is clearly capable in standard trim.

Netbooks also all have pretty much the same spec. Atom N270 with 1gb of ram and 128mb graphics. There are only a couple that differ as far as I'm aware.

Associate
hey,

installed win 7 home on this and drivers off sammies site here.

was on hol till yest and only just noticed at the end of the hoi that task manager shows 2 cores. wtf! the nc10 is a single core right? no HT support?

Back
Top Bottom