• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire HD7970

Associate
OP
3dmark11j.jpg

Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-970 Processor ,ASUSTeK Computer INC. Rampage III Extreme score: P9901 3DMarks

Soldato
I think we can see better numbers. :D
http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-radeon-hd-7970-voltage-mod--1.26ghz-flying-on-air/14398.html

I am waiting for bios that unlocks ccc limits and core voltage.

There is a special bios, apparently will be revealed on the 9th.

I would love it if the special bios was included on reference card @ position 2 on the bios switch :) and it unlocks to 2304 shaders aswell :p

AMD wouldn't of been lying becausce 'there are no hidden shaders', but selectable ones on the bios switch... I can dream :D

Associate
Positioning the taskbar is cool, if your a windows user :). Not such a biggy if your using Unix/Linux

I wonder if they will ever improve catalyst GUI in Linux, because I can tell you it's not as pretty as it is in the screendumps above on Linux

Associate
Wasn't there some open source AMD driver thingy ?

There is! I prefer the official AMD drivers, and yes there is now also a Catalyst control panel on Linux. The Linux version just looks like Catalyst version 5 on Windows. For some reason fglrx (AMD drivers) still work best, sometimes over 200x faster than radeon (open source drivers). It's been a while so I may need to get my facts right so don't take my word for it on the 200x faster ...

Associate
Tessellation above a certain factor is utterly pointless. What matters is the number of pixels per polygon - go beyond a visibly noticeable factor and it doesn't matter which card has better performance.

Fact is, the game we're all waiting for that puts tessellation on the map simply hasn't arrived. Until it is used intelligently on all assets, nobody will notice the benefits, as the subtle differences we see now have largely been applied to smooth out high polygon models, rather than more obvious but less important elements. Until then, the argument about tessellation in regards to how much it matters in games is really quite pointless.

V F

V F

Soldato
Tessellation above a certain factor is utterly pointless. What matters is the number of pixels per polygon - go beyond a visibly noticeable factor and it doesn't matter which card has better performance.

It's funny how once you start playing more games with tessellation and go back to games that don't have it, it feels like playing games that were once called 3D actually feel like 2D. Everything feels so flat and bare.

It feels like being so use to Crysis/2, Battlefield 3 and go back and play Far Cry. I'm finding many games I use to have such fond memories for looking not how I remembered them. Blurry textures, blurry distance, everything feels flat and lack of elevation and detail due to no tessellation.

Fact is, the game we're all waiting for that puts tessellation on the map simply hasn't arrived. Until it is used intelligently on all assets, nobody will notice the benefits, as the subtle differences we see now have largely been applied to smooth out high polygon models, rather than more obvious but less important elements. Until then, the argument about tessellation in regards to how much it matters in games is really quite pointless.

What game is that?

Associate
It's funny how once you start playing more games with tessellation and go back to games that don't have it, it feels like playing games that were once called 3D actually feel like 2D. Everything feels so flat and bare.

It feels like being so use to Crysis/2, Battlefield 3 and go back and play Far Cry. I'm finding many games I use to have such fond memories for looking not how I remembered them. Blurry textures, blurry distance, everything feels flat and lack of elevation and detail due to no tessellation.

What game is that?

Those games don't look good due to tessellation though, they look good due to the very high quality lighting and shadows the engines are capable of.

Just look at how good Dirt 2 can look in those London Rallycross stages - tessellation is only used in the water but the lighting and reflections are phenomenal.

By referring to "the game" I am referring to a game that puts tessellation to logical and intelligent use from start to finish in its design - this hasn't happened yet and doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.

Soldato
Is its tesselation performance now on par with Nvidia's?
At normal levels the 7970 is significantly better, but there are plenty of reports that the 580 pulls back the losses when very high levels are used. The Heaven benchmarks backs this up because when extreme tessellation setting is selected, there is not so much between them.

This sums it up. Within Heaven the 7970 wins easily at normal settings but it is not so easy with extreme settings. Within Tessmark, the 580 wins whatever the settings. Beyhond3D shows similar results to Heaven. Most release day reviews only show "normal settings" for tessellation, for some reason.

Last edited:
Associate
Tessellation looks great in some of the screenshots but isn't as noticeable in-game. If you take games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, STALKER: Call Of Pripyat, DiRT2/3 and Aliens Versus Predator the addition of tessellation is quite minimal. Even the "better" examples like Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 don't do enough to make it a 'must have'.

Just to put it in perspective, the curved surfaces in Quake 3 were more impressive than tessellation in Metro 2033. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a welcome addition and would like to see it as standard in all games but there hasn't been any implementation that makes me think "wow, this is a must have feature". One of the biggest problems is that tessellation typically has a high performance hit for minimal visual gain.

I really want to see a game really push it as a main feature but even in Crysis 2 it was an afterthought. Perhaps if Metro: Last Light can reduce the performance hit and improve the effect we'll have a definitive title but there simply isn't one yet.

Soldato
It's funny how a lot of AMD fans who dismissed tessellation as unnecessary and a gimmicky now notice the benefits:). I am not singling anyone out.

Back
Top Bottom