Sat nav, Car tax and v5 woes

Soldato
I bought the wife a Yaris last week, dealer misled her about features it didn't have from his ignorance (Renault dealer) on her test drive, he saw a sat nav button so assumed it did have it. A feature she really wanted. But when she got home and I had a play with it and pressed the button "system not installed", A quick Google shows it's £550 odd to install. We went to dealer today and he would not discount the car for the satnav fee, even though it's priced like it should have it, and he just offered a free MOT, so I broke his balls to refund me out of principle for miselling and got her old car back.

Before I get the refund I need the v5 that the dealer sent off, anyone have recent experience how long this takes?

Now for the tax, I taxed the car last week and sent for a refund of the old cars tax, today I retaxed the old car, am I right in assuming I will still get back money on the tax I cancelled? And when I get the v5 back I can cancel that cars tax for a refund?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I got the impression he thought I wouldn't take the hard route, especially with my wife looking fed up and toddler trolling running around the new Reno's. Clearly it would be so easy to refund £550 but no he now has an over priced Yaris that doesn't have all the bells and whistles he assumed it had and with now 2 previous owners instead of 1! It will be so worth 3x January tax when the wait for the v5 is over, old internet posts suggest 2 weeks to 3 months though... A long time to have my 7.5k in limbo.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
On the other end when I "really want" something in a car I check myself it has the feature. Sounds more like you overpaid and now backtracking it to the Sat Nav saga.

Likely your Mrs believes she was led and the salesman believes there was no leading as he didn't know if it had it.

I say the dealer is acting the way they are out of principle as they think they are right.

I see your opinion pepsilol, but there is no other hand, let me clear up some of your assumptions. My wife has been driving less than a year, her only car ever is as basic as you can get, T2 53 plate Yaris, the main feature it has is a cassette player, basically a relic of the 20th century, the dealer had to teach her a dozen new features, even that you had to put the clutch in to start the car.

Pretty easy to missell such an overwhelmed young noob driver with all the bells and whistles don't you think? I don't know about you but if I was learning to drive a modern car after a dinosaur and I see a button that says GPS and the dealer tells me it has it as well, I wouldn't be playing with it there or cross my mind that it could not be even there.

The price of the Yaris was in the top end of the normal range for a 1 owner top spec model with all the toys at a main dealer, I *know* I could get it a little cheaper else where from common used car sales men but the location not so good even lesser service, but it becomes overpriced without the £550 gps.

and finally he *admitted* he missold and first offered a free mot or a stand alone unit but not pay us for the inbuilt unit. But don't let your personal dislike of me (yet again) get in the way of a good assumption :)

Yes he could have and I would be none the wiser he got it from ebay, but it wasn't an option for him, mot or cheapo stand alone gps or he cut off his own nose to spite his face, which I will find funny.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you pursuing the dealer for having to now purchase two unnecessary tax payments?

Is it a main dealer or an indy? If it's the latter then you may struggle, otherwise go above his head and make a complaint.

Renault main dealer, first I'll wait until I get the v5 back for the refund and then I will go for the unnecessary tax payments.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately not on the test drive/viewing but saying that I would not even check if the GPS is there, we live only 10 mins away. I like to sit alone at home on the drive and play with all the features, even then when I saw system not installed, I thought it would be a simple job downloading the app onto a usb. I gave it the once over on collection/payment and it was sound visually and mechanically.

Soldato
OP
Update!

It took about 2 weeks to get the logbook back, the dealer refunded me and I got back 3 tax refunds from the DVLA.

Now for the fun part.
I went to the salesman to get my misrepresentation damages for his negligence, he refused and his French manager denied anything happened at all and that my wife should have known the car better than the salesman (when will the French learn not to mess with English and Russians :D ) and said case closed. I made a small claims court case against them and I got back a nice cheque with the court fees :)

Anyways I pushed the boat out and got my wife a lovely Auto Skoda Yeti SE 1.2 from the new Evans in Gloucester, much better service all around and remember the admin fee is optional!

Back
Top Bottom