sata power connection heads

Associate
Anyone know if its possible to buy the connection heads for SATA power cables so I can connect them to the cable myself? (not asking for shops, just if its possible)

I need to make a cable up with 2x female molex connection and 5x sata power cables. I know it sounds funny, but the Commell LV-677DC has a male power output and I have 5x SATA drives to run off it + 1 fan.

Associate
OP
Anyone? Or does anyone know of any SATA power cables that the heads can be taken off and put on another? I know they are around, as I have done it before. Do OCuk stock any cables like this?

Associate
You might struggle to run 5 drives and a fan off that port. The manual suggests a 5V max current of 3A, depending on the drives used you're going to be very close to or possibly even over 3A on the 5V line.

That's a good point. Just looked at a couple of drives and at 5v they pull around .9 amps. (The ones I looked at were Western Digital).

PhillyDee, as long as you don't mess my hair up! :)

Associate
OP
You might struggle to run 5 drives and a fan off that port. The manual suggests a 5V max current of 3A, depending on the drives used you're going to be very close to or possibly even over 3A on the 5V line.

Thanks I'll see how it goes. Comell have informed me that "it will work" so I guess I'll be having a shout at them if it does. I've got 1x 80GB and 4x500GB Samsung Spinpoints.

I've actually just managed to get hold of the SATA power connectors from work. Now its just a case of making up the cable :D

Back
Top Bottom