SBS 2003 internet grinding to a halt!

Soldato
I need you help please....

Im a bit of a novice with SBS and servers in general so if you need anymore info then please ask and I'll get you it.

Were running SBS 2003 (1 server) with 5 computers hard wired. The server is running exchange, trend antivirus and acting as a file server for the company data. It is also acting as a proxy for the internet using Trend Micro Interscan Firewall.

Recently the internet has been grinding to a snails pace which is causing problems internally and for when I want to connect remotely. IT has been working fine for about 2 years and only just started with this problem.

I had a check of the health monitor (wasnt really sure where to look?) and there is one critical warning on the allocated memory:
memory1.JPG

memory2.JPG

memory3.JPG

Does the above all look ok?

Is there anything else I can look at to try and diagnose the problem? Ive logged into the router and the connection speeds seem to be ok as far as I can tell

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 6.01.00.12
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 832 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Setup a client to go 'straight out' via the router (gateway) and directly pointed to your ISPs DNS, see if it's slow then.

Additionally, 188mb of free RAM is very little.

Associate
What version of SBS are you running, Prem or Standard? If Prem, are you using ISA?
Check there has been no update to Trend that could affect the IP stack (Have seen this before!)
Also, try setting your router and DNS Forwarders to use Open DNS and see if that helps.

188MB of free RAM is fine for SBS box with 2Gig - Remember, Exchange WILL take all available RAM and let other processes have RAM as and when they need it.

Rob

Soldato
OP
As far as Im away its just the standard version. Checked in system and it says:

MS Windows Server 2003
for Small Business Server
Service Pack 2

When I was trying to find that the server (via RDP) was going pretty slow too. Click on start and it took maybe 5 seconds to open, same with control panel and the rest.

I'll set up a client to bypass the server and go straight to the router and also the DNS as above and report back

Thanks for the help

Associate
Is the server slow to respond when your using it local and not via RDP? Could be something other then the Server at fault.
Also are you able to disable the Trend interscan engine? This could be having problems with the IP Packets.

Rob

Associate
It could be a faulty NIC, I have seen this before with SBS 2003, try replacing it and re-running the wizard and then see what happens.

In the first instance you could just try re-running the internet wizard as this will fix a lot of problems like this.

If this does not work, it may be your network switch that is having a problem.

Soldato
You're paging. You've got 2GB physical, you peaked @ 2.5GB and you're, still, currently using 2.4GB.

Add more memory; it's dirt cheap and you won't have to go optimising services all shapes to 'make ends meet' with resources. Although we can't see your peak usage in the screeny, I suspect the Trend proxy has used far more than the 389MB it's showing there.

Soldato
OP
Ok had a chance to get a monitor hooked up, the server is slow to respond too and I had to restart it as the internet was not responding. I dont think that its actually just an internet problem but possibly more to do with a memory issue as s0ck says above (not sure what pagin means though, using the page file perhaps?) as all applications were taking ages to respond.

Going to diasble the interscan firewall and see if that improves anything and will report back.

Thanks again for the help, its really appreciated.

Soldato
What kind of server have you got?

As people have said your server is paging, if you do not have a decent disk setup, your box will slow down.

That said, for the cost of £50 i would bung another 2Gb of memmory into your server

Kimbie

Back
Top Bottom