SC Check - employement

Soldato
Any one have any experience of this?

I've been told by a potential employer that they would have to run an SC check on me before I can get a role.

I was arrested in 2001 for 'possession of a small bag of herbal marijuana'.

How does his work and would this stand against me?

---

Honestly the police should not dish out arrests willy nilly for small things if they are going to have a serious impact on the rest of a persons career. In 2001 I was around 1 year in to Uni. And it was a random stop and search as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes I've had one. They are not as intense as developed vetting, just a background check really. I know a few people with minor convictions in the past who have passed it, including one with a conviction for wounding with intent. It's like defaults on a credit file. If they are long ago, they become less relevant over time unless they extremely major like terrorism.

Sounds like I should* be OK, but I imagine it's up to the discretion of the employer?

Also how does the process work, do I have to fill in a form or does the employer just request a check on me?

Soldato
OP
I was arrested. It wasn't a caution, it was an arrest. I had a quarter of marijuana on me.

It was a random stop and search in Earls Court. I full complied and didn't resist. They asked me if I had anything on me I shouldn't.

I said yes, some weed. They took me in the car to the station for processing.

Finger prints, DNA everything was taken.

They did say to me though that the record or the evidence only lasts for 5 years.

Soldato
OP
Then if the question on the form is Have you any past convictions, then you are telling the truth by saying no.

What does the question actually say?

I don't have any forms yet. Was just enquiring how the SC Check worked.

They said to me that some people in the past have started then failed the SC Check and they have had to let them go.

I didn't want that to happen to me.

Soldato
OP
This is the thing people forget.

With SC and DV, it's not about what you've done in the past (although yes, that can have a bearing), it's about you being direct, open and honest about it.

Remember, this isn't you telling them what you've done. This is you confirming to them what they already know. If it happened to you, and you declare it, when you're vetted (although for SC, most even aren't) they might just ask you about it.

Being honest, your little incident pales into insignificance compared to some of the things I know people have successfully been vetted against (for both SC and DV)

OK. So all I have to be is upfront about it rather than keep it hush hush.

Soldato
OP
OK. So the bottom line is I shouldn't fear being offered this role and then failing any SC checks? As long as I disclose I was arrested back in 2001 for possession of weed.

It really throws a spanner in the works, because it makes it hard for me to choose whether to accept the role if they offered it too me, considering there might be other opportunities. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I hope I will be OK, as a job I applied for and interviewed with today are going to make me an offer according to the recruiter. I filled in some what I can only think are SC Check documents today prior to interview.

All it wanted me to do was fill in my name, passport number and residency information.

I didn't have to declare anything.

I cant start the role for 6 weeks whilst this check is conducted. Leaves me in a predicament, as there are other roles which I am interviewing for and another one on Thu who are very keen on me.

It's dependant on a technical test, but if they too make me an offer it will come down to money.

I just want to avoid the situation where I choose the company with the SC check I wait 6 weeks and then it comes back as denied!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yep. Just spoke to recruiter that was indeed a standard level clearance and if that is successful I would then have to undertake an SC Clearance.

Puts me in a predicament, like I said previously as there is another company which will make me an offer probably this Thu/Fri, which I know wont need any checks.

I'm going to ask the question again, as long as I declare it what do you think is the % chance that an SC clearance will be denied for being arrested in 2001 for a 'small bag of herbal marijuana'?

Also what if I am not 100% it was 2001? I can only really remember it was in the summer after my first year of Uni. I started in 2000, so I am assuming it was 2001.

Soldato
OP
Cool.

Well the standard DBS takes a few weeks they've told me and I can then start once that goes through. (12th Dec ish)

Then the SC will be done and take a further 4 weeks.

If all goes well I wont have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom