Scottish Government - Fire & Smoke Alarm Laws

Soldato
With the announcement that all homes in Scotland are to have interlinked Fire & Smoke alarms fitted by February 2022, I thought it could be a good idea to get a thread setup to help us Scottish members on the board.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes/

I'm in the difficult situation that as part of a home renovation I fitted a Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect Alarms. My Nest Thermostat is in the middle of my Hall along with one of the Protects, they are both in the exact centre of my bungalow, the second Protect is at the end of my Kitchen beside my Garage door. My combi boiler is in the garage and I figured it was the best place to put the alarm to safe guard the Kitchen for smoke and any potential Carbon Monoxide leak from the boiler in the garage.

By the looks of the government legalisation they don't meet part of the standard to do with Heat Detection. I'm surprised that Google haven't commented on this publicly and/or addressed a fix?

I really don't want to rip out the system to have to replace it. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Soldato
OP
You only need heat detection in your kitchen, but it must interlink with the other smokes (CO doesn’t need to interlink). Do Nest do a heat detector yet?

Critical things they need to meet the legislation is either hardwired for power or have a tamper proof battery (10 years life), and all smokes and heats communicate to each other.

Also, for a private dwelling it won’t be enforced (but potentially may cause issues if you have a house fire with insurance).

Nest doesn't sell a separate heat detector. I can't find any public statement or announcement from Nest/Google about this government legislation and how its going to effect their products sale in Scotland.

My existing Nest Protects are the hardwired version. According to the regulations you are required to have a Smoke Alarm in your main living space (Living room/Lounge or the room you use he most) the battery version of the Nest Protect has user replaceable batteries, so again if they need to be tamper proof batteries I don't think these would meet the regulations?

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm in the same situation, put 3 Nest Protect's in 2 years ago, standalone heat detector and carbon monoxide alarm in the kitchen.

Having to rip them out and put dumber alarms in because Google don't seem to be doing anything.

Bloody annoying

You are not wrong! I don't know why I'm not surprised Google Nest can't be bothered to even acknowledge the problem and give help and advice to effected customers.

I'm really annoyed as well as I have my Nest devices working perfectly within Homebridge allowing me to add them to my Apple HomeKit setup and control everything with Siri.

I think I'm going to be looking at FireAngel Pro devices.

Back
Top Bottom