Screw keeps spinning

Associate
My mobo has 9 screws which go into the case

They are all in tightly and the mobo is secure. However one of the bottom screws - screws in properly however it never seems to " lock " into place. It screws and screws downwards and doesn't move whatsoever if i try moving it with my hand. It goes fairly tight but not so tight that it stops spinning

Is that OK ?

Soldato
You've probably stripped the thread.

They are only tiny little screws and don't need much torque at all, and don't need to be in tight, infact, nothing in a computer needs to be very tight at all, anything just past loose is fine, and actually better.

Just leave it, 8 of 9 screws will be fine, there is nothing you can realistically do if you're stripped the thread just use it as a lesson for the future, and don't start doing any work on your car yourself lol.

Associate
OP
Just leave it, 8 of 9 screws will be fine, there is nothing you can realistically do if you're stripped the thread just use it as a lesson for the future, and don't start doing any work on your car yourself lol.

Fair enough i'll leave it then.
I do have some threadlocker, however as I've discovered one slightly loose screw should be fine :)

Associate
If it's one of the metal mounts they generally can be removed and replaced. But i wouldn't go to all the hassle of stripping out the hardware just for one screw.

Associate
OP
If it's one of the metal mounts they generally can be removed and replaced. But i wouldn't go to all the hassle of stripping out the hardware just for one screw.

Yeah my thoughts too. Screw doesn't move around at all, just spins if I use a bit of force.

If one was to replace the bronze standoffs which screw into the mobo. Are they all a generic size ( 6.5mm ) ?

Associate
Yeah my thoughts too. Screw doesn't move around at all, just spins if I use a bit of force.

If one was to replace the bronze standoffs which screw into the mobo. Are they all a generic size ( 6.5mm ) ?

In my experience they have been. I'm not sure if you get different sizes.

Associate
OP
Interesting.
My Fractal Design Focus G didn't require the bronze standoffs, it already had holes built in for the screws.

The meshify however, I had to screw the standoffs in place first, before putting the mobo in

Associate
OP
A bit of locktight on the thread should do the trick.

Probably would but could cause problems later down the line as loctite is almost an adhesive and could glue the screw to the standoff.

When I initially fitted my mobo into my new case I didn't tighten the bronze part in tight enough, and over-tightened the mobo screw. Meaning when I tried to take it out the standoff was stuck to the mobo. I had to get a pair of pliers and screwdriver to get it out.

Back
Top Bottom