screws for plasterboard

Associate
Anyone know what the best screws are for screwing into plasterboard, which is approx 5mm thick.

Trying to fix a toilet roll holder onto the wall.

Thanks

Soldato
I just recently used GripIt to fix a towel radiator to a hollow plasterboard wall. I was really impressed by how strong the fixing was it was comparable to a solid wall really.

The way the fixing is designed you can screw and unscrew the item your fixing to the wall repeatedly without weakening the plasterboard around it.

https://www.gripitfixings.co.uk/

Caporegime
Anyone know what the best screws are for screwing into plasterboard, which is approx 5mm thick.

Trying to fix a toilet roll holder onto the wall.

Thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071G61BQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_5R95FbYG0MV5A

Corefix has 3 seperate parts with the 2 main parts being metal.

You can get large boxes of them for cheap to use all around the house. Assuming it's masonry brick behind the plasterboard and not a timber frame with plasterboard on either side.

Gripits I've found are expensive and easy to break the mechanism on them. Sometimes the plasterboard is doubled up or thicker and then the latches can't get out especially on the smaller ones. They are also mostly plastic therefore your paying mainly for the name rather than quality.

There are cheaper alternatives that are arguably just as good or even better made mainly from metal.

Plenty of videos on YouTube comparing plasterboard fixings and comparing gripits.

I've used gripits and yeah they work but I'd choose different if I had to use them again.

Also the hole they leave behind is massive if you need to remove in future.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HYW06VY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_qY95FbNE4D39D?psc=1

These work on the same concept as gripits for a tenth of the price and will work on any material not just plasterboard.

Soldato
5mm plasterboard? is that right, most plasterboard is either 9.5mm or 12.5mm

5mm - thats got hardly anything to sink into , toggles , gripit will work but thats a very thin board.

If its standard wallboard it will most likely be 12.5 - and as its a toilet roll holder, you know full well that is coming down when someone leans on it too hard when they didn't mean to. Can you not find a stud behind the plasterboard to at least fix one screw to a stud, do you know if the plasterboard is stuck to brick? As drilling into the brick if there is brick would work much better.

Soldato
Fisher Duo Power. The only plug you’ll need for this short of job.

These sorts of things normally come with quite a dainty way of mourning and as such will want a small dainty way of fixing them. I have full length curtain poles put up with fisher duo power plugs, a toilet roll holder is well within their capabilities.

You can get similar things from other brands, even wilko do an alright one but given the high end branded version is so cheap at about £5-6 for 100, I don’t see a reason to cheap out here. You’d literally be saving a £1 or £2.

Grip it will work but expensive and overkill. Toggles are also good but probably a bit overkill too.

Corefix for a toilet roll holder, that’s utterly ridiculous. Those are designed to put up great big and heavy objects like kitchen cupboards and huge thick TVs. Why would you even suggest that?

Soldato
Standard plugs and screws will be fine for a bog roll holder, unless you want to stand on it. Or as above if you want to spend a little extra then quality plugs are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom