SCSI to USB

Associate
A blast from the distant past!

My father died a few weeks ago and has left me his old Epson GT-9500 scanner. As much because it was his as well as that it scans superbly, I want to continue keeping it in service.

He used it with a computer I don't have access to in which he installed a SCSI to PCIe adaptor, but I am limited to Windows 10 and 11 laptops with USB ports.

I cannot however find a simple means of converting SCSI 50 pin to USB. Is this simply because it is a non-starter or is there a straightforward way, please?

I have a parallel to USB adaptor but the scanning software products I have tried all need SCSI, so the scanner's parallel port is of no use; Device Manager confirms that neither Windows 10 nor 11 laptop detects that a powered-on and ready scanner is connected. Yes, the SCSI 'terminator' switch is set to 'on' since there are no other daisy chained SCSI devices in the circuit, and the SCSI ID is set correctly.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Wow. This problem is a blast from the past. We encountered something very similar when converting a company from Windows NT many years ago. Back then it was a policy decision that clients would only have USB devices. What we did was connect all legacy devices (printers, plotters, and scanners) to headless old boxes with SCSI adapters and network them. Because they ran headless and were single-purpose they didn't need the grunt of workstations.

Wow! Never in a million years did I expect such a fast response - never mind three of them and a proper conversation even if it confirms the way I thought a solution was going. That video was fascinating, thank you, Rroff. Itself a blast from the past!

I will see what slots my son has got left in his Carlos Fandango home-built powerhouse of a networked NZXT PC, and see if he will let me put a SCSI PCIe card in it. Once I know the setup works, I'll then include this requirement when I design and home build a new photo editing PC as the motherboard has failed on the one I designed and built in 2019. Class-leading back then, the world has moved on a bit and it struggled with AI editing functions, so I won't invest in repair. It might be some months as the cost will be considerable, time is in short supply, and a powerful Gigabyte laptop is enough to get by with for photo editing, but I will try to remember to report back here both as a courtesy and for anyone else to find.

Thank you Each once again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom