Seagate 8TB Drive Faulty?

Associate
Hi,

I have a Seagate 8TB Archive drive and have noticed recently is has been making a high piched click every 5 mins or so (like the drive is being accessed) ... have disconnected all other drives incl OS to make sure nothing was accessing the drive.

Have ran both Seagate tools & a full scan in HDTune and neither have found any errors. The drive seems to be working ok and temps are below 30 degrees.

There is a few months warranty left on the drive so would it be worth RMA'ing the drive?

cheers

Associate
Sure its not a fan or other wire? have you looked at the headparking setting? where is it being used. I would RMA if you are unsure but can you afford to be without drive/data /backup.. Archive drives are different as they normally use SMR and that does run stuff in the background so it may actually be normal.
I run 6tb PMR drives wd red , no problems so far ...

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply, I'm not too sure tbh.

I watched a few vids on youtube of the noise the drives make when head parking and there not the same sound.

All the important stuff is backed up plus I've just ordered a WD drive to move all the files off and think I will RMA the Seagate drive.

I recently moved my mediaserver to a new case and noticed the drive than. Everything was disconnected when I tested to see which drive was making the noise so not any fans ect.

Associate
OP
@GWANGY

Do you know any software that will work on the 8TB WD Red drives? (WD80EFZX) to adjust the head park timing?

Have installed the 8TB WD Red just now and it is clicking every 5 seconds (assuming it is the headpark setting mentioned above)

The drives are very poorly made too, the metal casing has rough edges like it has being dragged along a concrete floor.

Associate
I do not know any software but google may help> I would e-chat with WD and describe the problem.. I am sure they will either fix or RMA
WHere is this drive being used OS? home/sme/hyperserver datapark.
I would smash it with data for 24 hours and see what happens.. complete reformat and surface scan x5
oh and purchase some good quality sata leads just in case.
JUST RE_READ ALL YOUR POSTS.. you are getting the same problem on two different drives.. so NOT the drives.
The case is the problem what case? what PSU .. could be the PSU leads .. are you running anti-virus ??

Associate
OP

Cheers, I'll take a look at wdidel3.

I do not know any software but google may help> I would e-chat with WD and describe the problem.. I am sure they will either fix or RMA
WHere is this drive being used OS? home/sme/hyperserver datapark.
I would smash it with data for 24 hours and see what happens.. complete reformat and surface scan x5
oh and purchase some good quality sata leads just in case.
JUST RE_READ ALL YOUR POSTS.. you are getting the same problem on two different drives.. so NOT the drives.
The case is the problem what case? what PSU .. could be the PSU leads .. are you running anti-virus ??

Different noises mate, the Seagate drive is now making random grinding noises so have removed it and will rma it.

The WD drive is brand new and currently running the software WD lifeguard which will take just over 12 hours. I've read the drives are not quite compared to the smaller Red drives but even when it clicks you can feel the clunk/vibration from the header moving. (none of the others red drives make any noise in the same cage)

The drives are mounted in a fractal design node 804 and have rubber spacing between the cage and hard drives.

Will test different cables tomorrow, still makes the noise with only sata power connected and no data cable.

I'll try and get a recording too, I'm sure it will make it clearer to understand than me trying to explain.

If the WD drive is faulty I'm sure OCUK will sort it in no time.

Associate
OP
Ok have ran an Extended scan using the WD Life software and it passed the test. (Just over 15 hours)

I made some shorter Sata Power cables so have tested the WD drive on it's own (no fans, data cable, fans ect) using another Sata power cable direct from the PSU and here is the recording. I'm sure it is what GWANGY mentioned above about the head parking as it is consistant every 5 seconds.

PSU is a Corsair HX750, Sata cables are Sata 3 cables from Amazon direct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6g9s47t3h7dics/Red audio.aac?dl=0

Associate
if the wd soft says your drive is ok then its should be ok (till it isnt) I would make sure those drives are screwed in fairly tight and I would swap the bays/slots where the drives are. Maybe even put the drive in upside down if possible ?
I isolated the background audio from your clip and it appears you are a communist spy!

Back
Top Bottom