Sealed Water Cooling Units

Associate
Hey Guy's,

Just wondering if any one could tell me the main differences between sealed water cooling uni like the corsair h60 (looking into getting it to oc my x4 965 be) and other kits that you build you're self.

I know the biggest limitation with these sealed hit is that you can only cool 1 component i.e. cpu. but what are the performance differences between sealed unis and the do it you're self units?

Also i am a big nooby when it comes to water cooling, i remember back in 2004 and 2005 people were really getting into it but since then i ain't even looked at it, lol to let you guys understand how much i know about it, i thought these sealed units that come from companies like corsair, like the h60 had to be filled with coolant? lol i know right? did that question ever get asked on here?

The other thing is the coolant inside these sealed units, how long does it last? because i know allot of these home made systems have to have the collant changed every 2 years or so, what exactly is the coolant in these sealed units?

Lastly has any one got a h60? if so what kinda temps can i expect on an 965 be clocked to 4.0ghz? iv seen idle temps 10 degrees cooler then on air with the h60, is this about right?

- Anton.

Associate
A similar DIY setup will perform the same as or slightly better than an all in one closed unit. The main benefit of building your own loop is the expandability / customization aspect. There is almost no limit (outside of spacial limits) to what you can cool with a custom loop, whereas a closed aio unit as you say is only good for the cpu.

As far as I know the coolant in a closed loop unit does not expire, but I cannot say 100% as I have never used one.

Soldato
The H60 is not worth whatever they're charging for it unless it's ~£20 imo. The radiator is too small. It's good for htpcs that have a 120mm fan mount I guess, but that's it.

As for how they compare, depends on the custom config, but generally:

custom has better pump
custom has better blocks
custom has more rad surface area
custom looks better
custom cools better
custom is quieter
custom is flexible, upgradable and adaptable
custom is 100% on your ass if you do it wrong

Back
Top Bottom