Searching a database...how to set it up?

Man of Honour
not a regular poster in here sadly, and my programming skills are certainly limited. However, can anyone suggest a relatively easy way to do the following:

I want to add a TFT panel searching tool to my website, some feature where people can simply type in a model number or make or whatever, and it searchs a database and gives the results. Fairly simple i guess, but needs to be simple to set up and easy to maintain. I will need to update this a LOT, so perhaps something (dont know if this is possible) where is scans an excel data base?

that way i can update the sheet offline and just upload it to replace the old one whenever there are updates...

hope that makes sense, any good suggestions?

Soldato
I'd say your best bet would be a small instance of MySQL/MSSQL/any RDB with full-text indexing enabled. You'll have problems doing proper efficient searches of excel spreadsheets (unless you managed to get the beta of office server and want to use that). Full-text indexing will basically allow you to throw a word at a table and it'll return any result with that word in. It's rather nifty and worth looking at.

Associate
Perhaps a MySQL backend, with some private "admin" pages (only accessible to yourself) that would allow you to manage the contents of the database, either on a individual item basis, or some form of bulk upload (e.g. Excel as you mentioned).

cheers
v.f.

Man of Honour
OP
excellent, thanks for the links and suggestions guys. I'll have a read through those pages linked, and voodoofllux, your idea is the kind of thing i'm looking at. Will investigate and get back to you guys if i get stuck :)

thanks again

Man of Honour
OP
ok having a brief read through it looks reasonably complicated. Like i said, im no web devloper expert :)

any chance someone can put together some REALLY basic for me which looks obvious enough to change. what i need really is one HTML page with a search box on it, you put a TFT model in there, and hit search. then it scans a database of some sort and returns the results as to what panel that TFT uses. If that makes sense? Then for instance if someone put in a manufacturer name like "Samsung", it would return a list of all the Samsung models saying:

Samsung XXX has xxx panel
Samsung XXXX has xxxx panel

etc

any way someone can put together a very brief example database page, where it is obvious enough for me to edit in the sections i need? Just something to give me a head start, i can pick things up quite quickly from there (hopefully :))

Back
Top Bottom