• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Second hand price insanity!

Associate
I doubt we will see a 4000 series this year
Maybe not, but they'd just be going from making hardly any 3000 series cards to making hardly any 4000 series cards so why not? Even crap cards nobody wanted when they were new have been flying off the auction site at stupid prices so I could see 3000 cards still being above rrp when the 4000's get released.

Associate
Maybe not, but they'd just be going from making hardly any 3000 series cards to making hardly any 4000 series cards so why not? Even crap cards nobody wanted when they were new have been flying off the auction site at stupid prices so I could see 3000 cards still being above rrp when the 4000's get released.

I see what you meen I was thinking you had optimism that nvidia would sort out the stock levels :)

your proberly right on the price

Soldato
What does that mean exactly?

Market rate is pretty easy to establish, so as long as it's priced at market rate it's not profiteering, surely?

It's pretty simple; you can't make profit on items you sell there. So if you landed lucky and bought a 3080 FE for £649, you can only sell it for £649 (+P&P) on the MM. If you bought it for £1,200 off a scalper, you can sell it on the MM for £1,200 (+P&P). There is no "market price".

In principle it's a good rule. But in practice it creates an absolute mess in a market where prices are highly inflated. Say you own a Vega 64, and have just managed to bag a 3070 FE. If you bought the Vega at launch, you could advertise it at ~£550-£600 (which is basically market rate right now). That's more than enough to cover the upgrade cost to the 3070 plus around £100 cash in your pocket. This is allowed, as selling a card after three and a half years of use in order to fund an upgrade and pocket some cash "isn't" profiteering.

But if you bought that card for £200 last year, you're only allowed to sell on here for £200 + P&P. You can't even cover your upgrade cost, let alone pocket cash. That's because this would be considered profiteering.

The end result is that very few cards go on the MM, unless they have been owned from new or the owner is being a kind Samaritan.

Last edited:
Associate
It's pretty simple; you can't make profit on items you sell there. So if you landed lucky and bought a 3080 FE for £649, you can only sell it for £649 (+P&P) on the MM. If you bought it for £1,200 off a scalper, you can sell it on the MM for £1,200 (+P&P). There is no "market price".

In principle it's a good rule. But in practice it creates an absolute mess in a market where prices are highly inflated. Say you own a Vega 64, and have just managed to bag a 3070 FE. If you bought the Vega at launch, you could advertise it at ~£550-£600 (which is basically market rate right now). That's more than enough to cover the upgrade cost to the 3070 plus around £100 cash in your pocket. This is allowed, as selling a card after three and a half years of use in order to fund an upgrade and pocket some cash "isn't" profiteering.

But if you bought that card for £200 last year, you're only allowed to sell on here for £200 + P&P. You can't even cover your upgrade cost, let alone pocket cash. That's because this would be considered profiteering.

The end result is that very few cards go on the MM, unless they have been owned from new or the owner is being a kind Samaritan.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I guess profiteering has different connotations to selling at market rate, but at a profit.

Man of Honour
I'm gobsmacked. Looking on ebay my Radeon VII is now selling for the £1600 mark. Getting really, really tempted to sell it and put a spare old card back in the machine for a while.

If I do that that I actually might as well just sell off the whole PC and move to a laptop for work. Not sure whether I'd ever bother with a gaming machine again if I did though.

Soldato
Profiteering is not allowed in MM
Is that for real?

So let me get this straight, ocuk themselves engage in blatant ‘profiteering’ at the moment whenever any stock arises for GPUs. Yet we can’t charge more for something in the MM than what we paid for it?

Capitalism for me but not for thee eh. Disgraceful. It’s no wonder I never actually buy anything from ocuk shop anymore. Haven’t for years and years now.

Caporegime
Thank goodness profiteering isn't allowed on the MM.

If people want to scalp then they can go and face the potential chance of getting screwed over by the buyer a few months down the line on ebay.

Soldato
In my experience most people on the MM are sound though, and I think we could and should be ‘trusted’ to charge what we bloody well like!

I think a bit of ‘modest’ scalping would be fine and expected at the moment. E.g. I’d have happily paid someone charging say £850 for a 3080FE on the MM, that they’d bagged for £650. I would hope the ridiculous scalping you see on eBay wouldn’t happen on the MM. And if it did, people can still simply choose not to pay it.
Freedom of choice ain’t it, you know, that thing we used to have before the world went generally ******* insane on many levels a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom