Second hand prices - will they return to ‘normal’

Soldato
Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this.
I’m mainly referring to ULEZ compliant ICE cars, not EV.
Prices seem pretty outrageous, however I’m not convinced they will drop?
Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
I’ve just tried buying a new Citroen Berlingo, MPV diesel, I’ve been informed that Citroen are no longer making the ICE versions and production is about to stop?
This could be right or wrong?
There’s a very narrow window of years now to get a ULEZ complainant diesel Berlingo.
I can’t see prices dropping, any time soon.

Soldato
OP
So my car will be worth the same for ever? Wow! That sounds cool.

I know you like your car. Would you swap it for an electric version costing 2x as much with 1/4 of the range?
Have you looked at second hand ICE prices lately? Not performance stuff I mean every day ULEZ compliant cars.
It’s gone insane.

Soldato
OP
They are selling products where the market sets the price though, so in many respects this is irrelevant to the price of a used car. I'm sure many will attempt to increase price to offset these higher costs, but the reality is that the car is worth what somebody will pay for it and in a situation whereby energy costs are significantly increasing this number is likely to be going in the opposite direction. Where is the money coming from to continue to pay more and more money for really quite ordinary cars?

Thinking back to the E46 330Ci example, If I'd attempted to guess what would happen to car prices at various points over the last 3 years I'd have been wrong every time as they just don't seem to follow conventional logic anymore, but there must surely be a point not far down the road where the number of people who have £7,000 to spend on a 2004 3 Series is insufficient to keep selling a 2004 3 Series for £7,000. These are £700 cars with a £6000 'they used to be great!' premium on the price and that premium is very much a luxury purchase.
Why wouldn’t a useable car without corrosion (bodies last well) be worth more than you imagine?
They are relatively simple to maintain even for the DIYer, unlike the latest modern cars.
My £4000 Z4 has been astounding value, I’ve only had to replace service parts.
£4000 vs crazies paying £500/month
I know which one I would have.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why should it be? We'll ignore the 'without corrosion' part given we're talking about an E46...
I don’t have the money for a new BMW, or VW for that matter. I could however stretch to a new BMW motorcycle.
What puts me off riding one of these fantastic machines (and they are R1250GS) isn’t just the initial cost it’s the cost of ownership, dealer servicing to maintain the warranty and residual value etc.
You aren’t just buying a vehicle, your buying a service contract with BMW.
(I’m not just picking on BMW here it’s going that way with everything).
EVs are even worse with subscription features and manufacturer connectivity and updates.
Modern vehicles just aren’t as desirable to own as they once where.
I can’t actually believe that I put down £13,500 in 2005 for a new Octavia vRS. I would be lucky to afford the brochure today.
This alone pushes me and people like me towards older vehicles which In turn has bolstered there second hand value.
The general trend at work seems to be keeping what you already have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom