Second hard drive unresponsive, Ultra DMA CRC Error.

Soldato
Hi,

Having problems with my laptop (in sig).

The second hard drive is coming up showing ultraDMA CRC Errors, registering on SMART detection.

I'm getting the drive disconnecting and also slow to respond / nothing loading properly and or crashing from that HDD.

Is it a fault drive or could it be the connector between the drive and the motherboard?

Soldato
OP
So, I've tried another HDD in the PC, I've also tried the one from the PC in an external bay, I have also tried a third drive, they're all reporting the same Ultra DMA CRC error.

I even tried a 4TB Seagate Expansion, interestingly, no error for that one!

Soldato
We're talking about the laptop?

If every drive to put into the laptop is failing in the same way you'd obviously suspect a laptop fault.

Do you have another machine you can test the drives in? Have you used the manufacturer's diagnostic?

Soldato
OP
I can't test them in another PC. However, I used the SAME HDD enclosure, one of the HDD's I put in didn't show any errors. I may try on USB with my Surface Pro. I've just ordered a FireCuda 2TB SSHD.

Soldato
OP
Seem to have fixed it with the Firecuda 2TB. I ride my bike a lot especially committin and I put the Laptop in my pannier that goes on a rack on the back of my bike, should be fairly shock absorbing but could this cause issues with the HDD?

Soldato
OP
Ok seems like it could be something wrong with the laptop. A few months ago I was on the tram and my bag fell, all seemed to be fine but I think it's knocked something because today the drive disappeared again even with the Firecuda. I notice that lightly whacking the laptop on my knee (yes really) with the laptop turned off, then turning it back on and the drive is back. I can't see it been the connection between the hard drive and the motherboard though because it's solidly in place and secured with a screw.

Back
Top Bottom