Seeking advice on a new build Ver.2

Associate
Hello again, after taking advice from the kind people here, I have come back with a new build. Hopefully this would work.

I'm looking to build a new PC and as i havent built one for 10 years i need some advice, my budget is £500 but as I won't be putting it together until the new year I'm hoping to pick up parts when they are on sale.

Is this build OK for mostly Web surfing, office based programs, light photo editing and light gaming (16bit games and indie, I mostly game on consoles)? Is there anything I could change to bring down the cost or a better part, and is there anything else I need to add?

WiFi is a must due to a house rabbit.

Hopefully something like this will last for the next 5/10 years with upgrades (CPU cooler, more RAM, extra fans, more storage and lights).

Things I already have are, Lenovo ThinkVision T23d-10, Microsoft Sculpt ergonomic mouse & keyboard and a portable blu-ray optical drive.

Components
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor - £117

Motherboard - ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 - £121.99

Memory - Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 - £35.99

Storage - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2 - £69.99

Case - Fractal Design Meshify 2 Nano - £68.99

Power Supply - be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular - £85.10

OS - Linux to start then I’ll pick up a copy of Windows

Total - £500.06
Budget - £500

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunatly your case only fits mini-itx boards and you have a micro-atx so you need a different case like:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £49.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

you could use the saved money to buy a better cooler and reduce the noise that the stock cooler can produce. Not needed but very welcome IMHO

Under £20

Also make sure its 3600 mhz memory as the onboard gpu needs faster speeds to run the best.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £37.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Unfortunatly your case only fits mini-itx boards and you have a micro-atx so you need a different case like:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £49.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

you could use the saved money to buy a better cooler and reduce the noise that the stock cooler can produce. Not needed but very welcome IMHO

Under £20

Also make sure its 3600 mhz memory as the onboard gpu needs faster speeds to run the best.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £37.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
OK, that was one someone on here suggested. Would this be better (fit)? - ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4

Associate
is it next month AMD will be announcing their next gen 8000G series Apu's. If you want something to last I'd personally wait as see the performance it brings though it'll prob mean more than £500. Price/performance may be worthwhile though, and it'll be on am5 platform

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No. ITX boards seem to be more expesnive that regular/m-atx sized boards so you would have to step up a chunk more cash busting your budget.
Would this be a better build? The case is only a couple of CM’s bigger

PC P P Part List: b8MqN6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor £112.99

Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £109.00

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory £34.99

Storage: MSI SPATIUM M371 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive £46.99

Case: Fractal Design Pop Mini Air MicroATX Mid Tower Case £89.00

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply £89.99

Total: £482.96

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes that will all fit.

If your not going to use a gpu then you can drop the psu down to a 400 watt unit to save money.
Thanks, what PSU would you suggest and is the Fractal Design Meshify 2 Mini a better case that the Pop Mini?
Its not much bigger than the Meshify 2 Nano but fits a mATX and is a bit smaller than the Pop.
Also is a lower watt PSU just a saving in up front cost or is it cheaper to run?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, what PSU would you suggest and is the Fractal Design Meshify 2 Mini a better case that the Pop Mini?
Its not much bigger than the Meshify 2 Nano but fits a mATX and is a bit smaller than the Pop.
Also is a lower watt PSU just a saving in up front cost or is it cheaper to run?

They are both great cases and it all depends on what your looking for in a case and if you like the design as your going to be staring at it :D

If your not planninng on getting a gpu later on then the smaller psu will be more power effecient as (if I remember correctly) the psu is more effecient the more power it is using. Ie a 400 watt psu pushing out 200 watts (roughly your systems power drawer) will be more effecient than a 750 watt pushing out 200 watts.

be quiet Pure Power 11 400W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply £60​

If your after a small case how about this:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £44.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Back
Top Bottom