Seeking advice on a new build.

Associate
Hello all, I'm looking to build a new PC and as i havent built one for 10 years i need some advice, my budget is £500 but as I won't be putting it together until the new year I'm hoping to pick up parts when they are on sale.

Is this build OK for mostly Web surfing, office based programs, light photo editing and light gaming (16bit games and indie)? Is there anything I could change to bring down the cost or a better part that is not listed on Pc Part Picker? And is there anything else I need to add?
WiFi is a must due to a house rabbit.

I'm thinking the DDR5 for future proofing, and will want to add lights eventually.

Hopefully something like this will last for the next 10 years with upgrades.

************ Part List: https://uk.************.com/list/ByWbyg

* CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (£159.97 @ Amazon UK)
* Motherboard: Gigabyte H610I Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard (£96.13 @ Amazon UK)
* Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory (£64.95 @ AWD-IT)
* Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
* Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Nano Mini ITX Tower Case (£64.06 @ E buyer)
* Power Supply: MSI MAG A550BN 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.00 @ Computer Orbit)
* Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T3U Plus 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB Type-A Wi-Fi Adapter (£14.79 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £518.88

Last edited:
Soldato
Hopefully this will last for the next 10 years with upgrades.

No. If you're looking 10 years ahead, look at the AM5 platform. Otherwise count on having to replace the platform once it's no longer sufficient.

I don't see a graphics card in your list - budget £200 for that (Radeon RX 6600). If you are hard-capped at £500 take a look at the AM4 platform and the 5600G CPU. You should get 720p or 1080p on low-ish settings, depending upon the age of the game.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £294.97 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Associate
OP
No. If you're looking 10 years ahead, look at the AM5 platform. Otherwise count on having to replace the platform once it's no longer sufficient.

I don't see a graphics card in your list - budget £200 for that (Radeon RX 6600). If you are hard-capped at £500 take a look at the AM4 platform and the 5600G CPU. You should get 720p or 1080p on low-ish settings, depending upon the age of the game.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £294.97 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Associate
You need to take down the name of the other sellers...its against forum rules...you can leave price etc, but otherwise post will get deleted

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is this build OK for mostly Web surfing, office based programs, light photo editing and light gaming (16bit games and indie)? Is there anything I could change to bring down the cost or a better part that is not listed on Pc Part Picker? And is there anything else I need to add?
A 12400 is fine for basic desktop use, you'd probably be fine even with a 12100.

As Quartz said though, the Intel IGP is only capable of basic gaming, it can have trouble even with stuff that is over 10 years old. It depends on the kind of games you play obviously, I suppose if they're just very simple top-down, or point and click, then you might be alright.

I'm thinking the DDR5 for future proofing, and will want to add lights eventually.

Hopefully something like this will last for the next 10 years with upgrades.
I don't think DDR5 is going to help at all with future proofing.

You can fit 64GB of DDR4 on a 2 slot DDR4 board and I doubt you'll ever need more (either in capacity or performance). While you can technically upgrade the CPU, the motherboard is very basic and the case cooling limited, so I doubt e.g. a 13900K would be a sensible upgrade choice for this system. AMD recently confirmed that AM5 will be supported through 2025, so that's what I'd pick for future affordable/viable CPU upgrades.

In the short term: I'd recommend that you buy 32GB, since RAM is currently pretty cheap and it is more likely to hamstring your PC's future usability in desktop tasks than anything else in this system. I'd even go so far to say that a 12100 would last longer for basic usage than 16GB of memory will.

* Power Supply: MSI MAG A550BN 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.00 @ )
My impression is that this is one of the better budget PSUs, but regardless, I wouldn't fit a PSU with a 5 year warranty and these components to a PC you expect to last for 10 years. I'd go for this, which is a Seasonic built PSU, with double the warranty length:
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £73.99 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the advice, I shall have a think on what you have all said then come back with another build in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom