Self Checkouts - Supermarkets

Soldato
I noticed this on the BBC website this morning:

Just got me wondering why there is so much hate towards this. I don't understand nowadays why most people don't scan as they shop anyway as it stops you having to unload and pack your shopping at the till. All supermarkets I go to still have people on checkouts for those who don't want to but I can't see this as anything but a net positive.

Caporegime
I find scan as you shop really annoying myself.
Besides I think I had to be checked 3 times out of 4 so gave up.
It was so unsuccessful at our local medium size tesco I don't even know if they do it now.

I do like the little self service ones. But sometimes staff are slow to buzz through alcohol. I use these for grab and go shops

Caporegime
I like scan as I shop. In the 3 years or so since I've started using it i've only been checked may be 3 times? Although one time I forgot to scan 1 item (2L coke that was too big for the bag I was using so i was carrying it under my arm and forgot, that was embarrassing!), but overall I like it.

Soldato
i love scan as you shop, scan pack and go. the checks can be annoying but worth that small inconvenience
there is a real mix at our tesco, of people using the normal tills, the self service area and then the scan as you shop
i don't think i'd have a problem if i needed to go to a till checkout

Soldato
Sainsburys self service checkouts at my local are pretty solid these days, never had any problem with them. I usually go to the till if I have anything that requires approval as it takes a while for them to come over usually.

Soldato
She is one of many older people who refuse to learn how to use because it's new and 'they will not understand it'.
My nan is the same, refuses to learn anything to do with tech as she think's it's to complicated. Even if you literally show her it's a single button press she's not interested. Grandad is the complete opposite to be fair to him, might have to show him once how to do it but he listens and after that cracks on with it himnself.

Soldato
Because it is nice to interact with people now and then even if for a moment. Why I always still use chip and pin or cash as well.

I do use self serve for just a few items but it's better to keep people in a job they might need.

Soldato
OP
I got checked a 2-3 times when I first started using self scan and never missed anything and now I cannot remember the last time I was check. Maybe you build up some trust within the system?

Soldato
Some of Sainsbury's scan as you shop require to use their app on your phone - I give that a miss - otherwise SAUS every time at Tesco, m&s, etc

Man of Honour
Scan as you shop has saved me many hours. 9/10 I walk past everyone queuing for a normal till, I use scan as you shop with no queue, even if I'm checked I'm still out of the shop long before those queuing.

It was broken the other week it and took is 30 minutes to get through the tills.

Soldato
Yep it's defo the way to go. Even if I'm just getting a few things I'll walk around with my bag and pack as I go. I've seen people pack after paying which negates the whole idea.

Soldato
I noticed this on the BBC website this morning:

Just got me wondering why there is so much hate towards this. I don't understand nowadays why most people don't scan as they shop anyway as it stops you having to unload and pack your shopping at the till. All supermarkets I go to still have people on checkouts for those who don't want to but I can't see this as anything but a net positive.
My weekly shop is on a tight timescale. Drop the kids at swimming at 7:26, drive 8 mins to Aldi to buy approx £50, then drive to the Tesco over the road and buy approx £80, leave by 8:30 to pick the kids up before 8:40 (they're out the pool at 8:30).

Last week, there were no manned Tesco tills open at 8:25pm, and beeping through £80 of stuff takes forever and barely fits on the weighing thing. Was 10 minutes late getting to the kids

I was pretty ******* ****** off at the lack of manned tills.

Ive got too old and grumpy to go shopping now
- people with kids
- people blocking isles for a chat
- people doing scan and shop not moving out of the bloody way so I can get to things whilst they faff about adding stuff to bags ;)
- the fact they seem to be replenishing the store or removing cardboard constantly so isles are part blocked, which makes the following worse
- home shoppers with their silly trollies that require them to stand at the side of their wide trolley to load it!

As such I have resorted to internet ordering and getting them to deliver
£18 of clubcard vouchers for 6 months seems a complete and total bargain now, saves me an hour a week for starters, and probably cost neutral vs my petrol costs
I occasionally mess up the substitutes, but even then, you actually often get a better (I assume this is default pick better) for the same price if you allow them to substitute

I have a 4-5pm delivery on Fridays, tend to get 1-2% substitutes on average. Only once did I reject it.
They are often early so its really more like 3.30-4.15. They knock on door I carry crates to kitchen table, unload and carry back, takes probably 5 mins in total. Deffo win for me.

Soldato
Don't remember the last time I used a manned till for a large shop, always scan and shop. One one occasion the handheld crashed while I was making my way to the checkouts with a packed trolley. All manned tills had queues at least 3 deep. I left my trolley and walked out.

The supermarkets I shop at now let me use an app on my phone, saving even more time by not having to queue for a scanner and enter my details. App is loaded and ready to scan as soon as I enter the store. The app also saves all my offers and loyalty cards and with the phone already in my hand I can quickly use it to tap and pay on the way out.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If you're getting randomly checked often (scan as you shop), then you're either adding and removing items from the list of scanned products or you're triggering one of the other criteria for a search like adding high value items that you don't normally buy.

Try it; add a bottle of ketchup then remove it from the scanned list. Then scan a different bottle... you'll end up getting searched.

I like scan as you shop but I tend to only scan the item after I'm 100% sure I won't need to remove it, to avoid the faff.

Back
Top Bottom