Self Checkouts - Supermarkets

Soldato
I got checked a 2-3 times when I first started using self scan and never missed anything and now I cannot remember the last time I was check. Maybe you build up some trust within the system?
I think so. The first time I did self scan in tesco I was checked, and I had missed a whole free range chicken!
Needless to say I was checked the next couple of times I did self scan at tesco.

Soldato
law to remove the free light weight bags was ridiculous - who pays 30p for a supposedly reusable bag, you need something to put the item in in the fridge and you wouldn't use an old dirty 30p bag again, or wash them -
I'd believe sales of unpacked veg/fruit declined as people took the pre-bagged/netted bigger quantity options, kinda defeated the point, and then waste more.

I'd love to know how they select the voice for the Waitrose self-checkout must have been JRM's nanny I think, and it's often mis-sequenced so it is saying transaction not complete when the card reader says it's all over now.
It's not law as Lidl still do the free bags for produce.

Many produce you can't buy loose any more - grapes, is one example. Used to get a string plastic bag of them with varying weights. Other things I have never seen sold loose are beans - string, mangetout, sugar snap, asparagus.

Bananas are 10-13p on weight. So why do people by the 5 packs of bananas for 70p??

Caporegime
ive asked an employee why i always seem to be getting checked and she said things like buying multiple of the same thing, liked tinned tomatoes or adding then removing items also triggers algorithms.
I always get stopped when im in a hurry so that must factor in too :p

ive had a check when i literally bought 2 items before... seemed a bit excessive.

Just for the record ive seen what i considered to be a very normal looking couple in their 50s getting dragged out for full checks and listening to them saying "oh how did that beef fillet steak get in there! I thought you scanned that dear, oh i thought you did...." such BS :p thieves come in all guises.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not law as Lidl still do the free bags for produce.

Many produce you can't buy loose any more - grapes, is one example. Used to get a string plastic bag of them with varying weights. Other things I have never seen sold loose are beans - string, mangetout, sugar snap, asparagus.

Bananas are 10-13p on weight. So why do people by the 5 packs of bananas for 70p??
Onions, peppers, carrots and Brussels I buy loose, cabbage and cauliflower unpacked if possible. Same with apples and oranges. If you have a bag just for veg and fruit, a bit if soil never hurt anyone, though most things are pre-washed nowadays.

Commissario
I still don't understand peoples reticence to use scan and shop. I had to go to Tesco this morning and had about fifty quids worth of stuff in the trolley. There were queues at all the self scan checkouts, queues at all the manned checkouts and nobody at the scan and shop area. I was through in about twenty seconds.

Soldato
I still don't understand peoples reticence to use scan and shop. I had to go to Tesco this morning and had about fifty quids worth of stuff in the trolley. There were queues at all the self scan checkouts, queues at all the manned checkouts and nobody at the scan and shop area. I was through in about twenty seconds.
I love scan and shop at Sainsbury's. You pack your bags as you go, so no wasting time there and there's never a queue at the scan and shop checkout. If you do have an item that needs approval, you essentially move to the front of the queue because you'll be helped at the same rate as the self checkout, except you didn't queue for it.

Soldato
It's less stress and means you're out of there sooner. Unless you like queuing at self checkouts or want to talk to the person on the manned checkout, why would you choose anything else?

Soldato
Small FRV bags aren't chargeable and should still be in use... Part of the problem is, the ones used by some are actually quite expensive as they're compostable, but their use has shot up since the removal of carrier bags.
thieves come in all guises.
It's funny how people not scanning all their items don't think they're thieves too. They seem to be quite offended when they are labelled as such, like it's different to just putting something into your pocket and walking out...

Soldato
There are the walk outs. Some maybe not on purpose. People hear the card reader go beep and pick up their shopping and leave. Sometimes contactless needs a second attempt. Then double beep means transaction not complete. Many people need to be educated about the double beep = no payment. I have stopped customers and said your shopping hasn't gone through. Even have saved the transaction and go to the kiosk if see customer queuing there buying lottery or cigs....

If people read the screen - both chip n pin machine and the self scan, there wouldn't be these walk outs.

Back
Top Bottom