self-defence

Man of Honour
EDIT: also, what's this "at night" thing? You think the law changes when the sun goes down? :D

law? No.

Polices judgment, yes.
What reason do you have for carrying kife at night or in the pub? Not a lot if any. Unless your walking to/from walk.

Link above confirms what I said. It's not illegal persay, but carrying it around is not a good idea and you are at the hands of the polices judgment.

Soldato
law? No.

Polices judgment, yes.
What reason do you have for carrying kife at night or in the pub? Not a lot if any. Unless your walking to/from walk.

Link above confirms what I said. It's not illegal persay, but carrying it around is not a good idea and you are at the hands of the polices judgment.

There. You said it. "It's not illegal". If it's not illegal then I simply do not give two hoots about what the police "think". I hope you can understand that. :)

That knife has been immensely useful over the past 6 years or so, and I simply will not stop carrying it. I hope you can understand that too. :)

Man of Honour
There. You said it. "It's not illegal". If it's not illegal then I simply do not give two hoots about what the police "think". I hope you can understand that. :)

That knife has been immensely useful over the past 6 years or so, and I simply will not stop carrying it. I hope you can understand that too. :)

Its not illegal per say unlike a lockable blade which is always illegal.

However it can be and is sometime illegal. So not it isn't always legal. Which is what I've said all along. Your taking a massive risk and if you do use it self defence with no solid reason to have it on you, you'll be screwed by law.

I don't care if you carry it or not. But telling other people it's legal to carry offensive weapons isn't good. When you clearly won't accept the laws showen to you.

One

One

Soldato

The Criminal Justice Act (1988) says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding.

Everything else IS illegal but you are let off if you have 'reasonable cause'.

However if the police could prove you had a <3" folding blade with you for a reason such as self-defense they would send you to the courts for prosecution and to do this would mean you get arrested and spend the night in jail, even if the case fell flat on it's face in court.

Soldato
DSC_8822.jpg

AH, after seeing that pic, does that change your opinion?

I don't see how that could be used in self defence. Firstly, it takes 10 seconds to take out of my pocket. Then a further 3 to find the properly grasp the red thing right way round. Then a further 3 to find which side the blade is on. Then a further 2 to pull it out. Then to find the knife folded itself in when I tried to stab and sliced my index finger.

Man of Honour
How can it change my opinion? Of course it can be used and of course it can be classed as an offensive weapon.
Read the link someone else posted.
Ok it's very unlikely. But that's the way the law is worded and yet you haven't warned anyone and said it's perfectly legal and you cant get done for carrying a folding non lockable 3" knife. That's the important part, the bad advice or at best incomplete advise. Just because you have a tiny knife yet you said unto 3" is totally legall. Which is just wrong. It's not automatically illegal but cab still be classed as a weapon and hence illegal.

Last edited:
Soldato
However if the police could prove you had a <3" folding blade with you for a reason such as self-defense they would send you to the courts for prosecution and to do this would mean you get arrested and spend the night in jail, even if the case fell flat on it's face in court.
That's applies to anything that could be used as a weapon.

Man of Honour
Taxi drivers carry big maglights for self defense. Is that seen as illegal then? As its there as a weapon in case of being attacked.

There's a gd reason for them though. Incase they break down and need a light. What excuse do most people have for a knife?
It would be like carrying a baseball bat around at 3am. You aren't going to or coming back from a game at that time.

Caporegime
The Criminal Justice Act (1988) says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding.

Anyone considering using a pen knife in self defence is a bit silly anyway tbh...

run away

or

kick em in the nuts, then run away

are both acceptable options.

If you really really want to carry a weapon here are two useful ones that probably won't get you in trouble:

A powerful LED torch - some of these will temporarily blind/disorientate an attacker for a second or two at night time - gives you a bit of extra time to kick them in the nuts before you run away....

Some torches will also make quite handy kubotans - carry an actual kubotan around and you can be charged - carry a torch around - its just a torch. All the same - tis better to just kick them in the nuts and run away...

Other potential implement you could use is an umbrella - big, sturdy traditional style one with a point at the end - its just an umbrella so fine to carry but used in the same way you might use a rifle fitted with a bayonet and you can put some considerable space between yourself and an attacker.

Top tip though- don't bring an umbrella to a knife fight...

also - running away is almost always going to be your best option.

Soldato
There's a gd reason for them though. Incase they break down and need a light. What excuse do most people have for a knife?
Blades are the most oldest and useful tools ever created by man. There's a reason the law specifically states "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding.". It's because it's soo bloomin useful! :D

The Offensive Weapon clause applies to anything that can be used to cause bodily harm.
[/FONT]

Man of Honour
Yes it does apply to anything, not much reason to carry a knife in modern society.

What dont you get. I don't care what you do. But you also can't say it's perfectly legal to carry either.

Associate
Carry yourself. You don't need any weapon, or even martial art(although it helps), to protect yourself. The vermin of the world recognise moral fortitude when they see it. If you are afraid, don't be. Breath into your lower torso deeply, and blow out hard. Know that all decent people are walking with you. If the vermin of this world defeat you, they haven't beaten us. That's you and me and all the other decent people. You've lost nothing. We will always win. We, the decent gentle people , will prevail. To carry a knife is to give in to fear.

Soldato
Have a good quality magazine with you and if need be roll it up tight and it becomes the perfect weapon.
And while you are waiting for an ambulance to come for the guy who attack you you can have a read :)

Soldato
Yes it does apply to anything, not much reason to carry a knife in modern society.

What dont you get. I don't care what you do. But you also can't say it's perfectly legal to carry either.
I never said it was perfectly legal to carry a knife.....

"There's nothing illegal about simply carrying a small non-locking blade."

Simply. Small. Non locking. Which is what the law specifically says you can carry.

If you want to use it as a weapon then of course it can be treated under the offensive weapons act. The same as a baseball bat, maglite, or a toothbrush shank.

Man of Honour
It's not simply at all though is it. It depends on the circumstances and can very well be illegal.

It doesn't have to be used, to be classed as an offensive weapon. You can get done for just carrying offensive weapon. Again this comes back to what I said you are at the mercy of the cop and they will be less willing to accept your plea in situations like at night or in a crowded public place where you have no reason.

Back
Top Bottom