Self entitled people

Associate
Hi all,

I'm happy to be shot down if I'm well off the mark or I've not absorbed the general public feeling, but I feel there is a massive issue in the self entitlement of some people.

Was listening to the Radio the other day, specifically about the booster vaccines.

A lady was on having a moan about having to drive her 89 year old mother 6 miles to an appointment for a booster, and additionally moaned that there was no step free access.

Clearly, for anybody disabled I'd expect there to be arrangements in place to suit the specific circumstances, and I would hope the booking representative would interrogate the specific requirements of a person, but clearly where a person who requires assistance has the help of their family, is it really much if an inconvenience for a son/daugher etc to go slightly out of their way to help, I know I'd have no issue with this.

Just does my head in, when people have a moan for no valid reason and expect the damn world served on a plate to them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely! Had this discussion about someone the other week. Some people expect other to bed over backwards for them, even when it's a favour, or get things handed to them on a silver platter. It's a lack of gratitude too.

Soldato
A lady was on having a moan about having to drive her 89 year old mother 6 miles to an appointment for a booster, and additionally moaned that there was no step free access.
She forgets her mother probably wheeled her about everywhere in her pram when she was a baby, in and out of shops, probably none of which had ‘pram’ access.
People are selfish, self centred, entitled ***** for the most part. So I’m in full agreement with you.

Permabanned
Hi all,

I'm happy to be shot down if I'm well off the mark or I've not absorbed the general public feeling, but I feel there is a massive issue in the self entitlement of some people.

Was listening to Radio 2 the other day, specifically about the booster vaccines.

Clearly, for anybody disabled I'd expect there to be arrangements in place to suit the specific circumstances, and I would hope the booking representative would interrogate the specific requirements of a person, but clearly where a person who requires assistance has the help of their family, is it really much if an inconvenience for a son/daugher etc to go slightly out of their way to help, I know I'd have no issue with this.

Just does my head in, when people have a moan for no valid reason and expect the damn world served on a plate to them.

The worst thought is some poor ******* is probably married to this bint ;)

Soldato
Hi all,

Was listening to Radio 2 the other day, specifically about the booster vaccines.

Not enough information.
Was the issue the distance they had to travel or that she had to take her mother?
Her complaint about step free access seems valid to me. Why do you think it is invalid?

Seems like this thread was started so you could have good moan.

Soldato
Have this all the time. On Wednesday, it was absolutely tipping down with rain and thunderstorms. (Mainly) elderly customers were crowding at the entrance and exit. Store manager came up to them and asked them to leave as they posing as a fire hazard. They all acted like spoilt children. They felt like they should stay until it stopped raining- which was over two hours later.

Why can’t they shop on a day when it’s not forecasted to rain heavily?

Man of Honour
6 miles LOL - back in June for a mid-week appointment my only options were ~70 miles! the joys of living rural with limited availability locally which was mostly held for the most vulnerable. (For some reason they were only doing Saturday slots as well in this area - which is kind of silly when most people around here work in industries like agriculture and tourism related where Saturday is a normal working day and often mid-week is when people are off).

Associate
OP
Not enough information.
Was the issue the distance they had to travel or that she had to take her mother?
Her complaint about step free access seems valid to me. Why do you think it is invalid?

Seems like this thread was started so you could have good moan.

The interview was quite brief on Radio 2, and the impression I got was that the daughter was more than capable of helping her mother, but was more annoyed by the fact that an appointment was not on the immediate doorstep and not requiring her help (think of a typical Jeremy Vine interviewee).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a moan, and the demographic on the radio show might not be typical of the general populus, I assume they'll pick people to incense opinions, but if I'm wrong and people do think this way we're never going to get out of this situation.

Soldato
Have this all the time. On Wednesday, it was absolutely tipping down with rain and thunderstorms. (Mainly) elderly customers were crowding at the entrance and exit. Store manager came up to them and asked them to leave as they posing as a fire hazard. They all acted like spoilt children. They felt like they should stay until it stopped raining- which was over two hours later.

You have to be a troll?? And your manager would have been getting told to **** off if I’d have seen him forcing (mainly) elderly people out into the rain.
Not that I would have witnessed it though, seeing as I don’t live inside your fantasy world.

Soldato
The interview was quite brief on Radio 2, and the impression I got was that the daughter was more than capable of helping her mother, but was more annoyed by the fact that an appointment was not on the immediate doorstep and not requiring her help (think of a typical Jeremy Vine interviewee).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a moan, and the demographic on the radio show might not be typical of the general populus, I assume they'll pick people to incense opinions, but if I'm wrong and people do think this way we're never going to get out of this situation.
Looking more and more like we don't have don't have enough information.

Soldato
My dad had to drive 55 miles around trip to a hospital as the waiting list for the scan was 3 months shorter than the main hospital
You have to be a troll?? And your manager would have been getting told to **** off if I’d have seen him forcing (mainly) elderly people out into the rain.
Not that I would have witnessed it though, seeing as I don’t live inside your fantasy world.
Im not a troll. There were about 50 customers doing this. Can you imagine if an actual fire happened? It was customers that wanted to leave the store complained to manager. The wanted to leave customers said the other customers were refusing to move.

Associate
OP
Looking more and more like we don't have don't have enough information.

Sorry, got nothing more to add in a context sense, this was the crux of the few minutes of the interview on the radio show.

As a conclusion, but maybe not relevant to the general populus as a whole if the radio show is selecting guests who are controversial, is that there is an issue with persons who won't go slightly out of their way to help their, or their immediates situations, aka being self entitled.

Soldato

Its rain not acid

Associate
OP
I think to conclude the thread, if a person can help others then please do so without having an expectation of being waited on, as imperfect as the world is there is a lot we can do together.

What does my nut in is people who moan and make a mountain out of a molehill.

But I'm not heartless and can see the virtue in equality, and there are situations where a person may need additional assistance, and in those situations it is more than justified.

Last edited:
Commissario
There were about 50 customers doing this. Can you imagine if an actual fire happened? It was customers that wanted to leave the store complained to manager. The wanted to leave customers said the other customers were refusing to move.

Yes, I know exactly what would have happened if there had been an actual fire.

The people milling around the exit would be the first to leave, they’d be straight out the door and certainly not stopping anyone else from leaving.

What do you think they’d have done, stood there and burned?

Absolutely! Had this discussion about someone the other week. Some people expect other to bed over backwards for them, even when it's a favour, or get things handed to them on a silver platter. It's a lack of gratitude too.

We see this here. Members message us directly or start a thread in FCD asking us to do something for them. We help them out, normally very quickly and then don’t even get a brief ‘thank you’ in reply. Thankfully it’s not the norm but it’s just rude.

Soldato
Yes, I know exactly what would have happened if there had been an actual fire.

The people milling around the exit would be the first to leave, they’d be straight out the door and certainly not stopping anyone else from leaving.

What do you think they’d have done, stood there and burned?
You think old people, who have trouble with the rain would be capable of moving fast enough to avoid obstructing the fire exit. :confused:

Here's what would happen the fire alarm would go off, people would try to leave but there would be a traffic jam as the entire store swarms the main entrance. This would cause people to panic and almost certainly lead to an accident.

Edit: Just checking on the internet everyone loves to answer question without thinking of the consequence, so would you be willing to be criminally liable if the worst case happens?

Caporegime
On Wednesday, it was absolutely tipping down with rain and thunderstorms. (Mainly) elderly customers were crowding [...]asked them to leave as they posing as a fire hazard.

Im not a troll. There were about 50 customers doing this. Can you imagine if an actual fire happened?

Yeah, fires are the first thing I worry about too during heavy rainfall :D

I suspect people would just move away from the building if smoke were billowing out the doors and there was a raging fire inside for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom