Self overclocking ram?

Associate
Ok, so aim looking at some Kingston hyper x RAM for my laptop.
There is generic 3200mhz RAM, then there's the kingston stuff which can apparently self clock to 3200mhz. Not sure on timings, but truth be told I can't change that on my laptop anyway so I haven't bothered to learn. It's .15v lower than the generic stuff so would be cooler and somewhat more efficient.

A lot of the RAM types require XMP but my particular laptop doesn't give me the option, hence the self clocking SODIMM looks realllyyyyy appealing. Has anybody used these types before and do they actually work? My laptop is rated for 3200mhz, tbh the chip should be capable of more but its locked to a max of 3200. Last thing I want to do it blow 145quid on ram that wont go to 3200mhz, i may as well get 2 generic 3200mhz sticks.

Please and thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
The Asus A15 FA506QR.
It's rated at 3200mhz and has such in it.
The base clock of the Hyper X 2666mhz, but claims to clock itself to the MoBo max.
Hence the question about the RAM

Man of Honour
Most gaming RAM requires XMP and is programmed to boot at 2133, 2400 or 2666. Like you said, it also requires 1.35v.

Most desktop RAM for branded machines uses JEDEC standard timings and will boot at the speed it is rated, at 1.2v (since OEM systems don't usually allow voltage or frequency change, including XMP).

Kingston produce both types, gaming RAM which needs XMP and some memory which matches JEDEC standard timings.

This 'automatic overclocking' from what I can see in the datasheet on the kingston website is just matching the JEDEC standard timings and programming the module so it boots at 3200, the same as every manufacturer of desktop RAM.

Associate
OP
Alrighty, so in theory, said RAM should actually boot at 3200mhz.
Since im a bit of noob with timings, will those sticks have good timings as well are frequency?

In answer to another question, i did check compatibility and it does seem to be rated for it. Where I checked it was the only none typical 3200mhz RAM accepted.

Man of Honour
Alrighty, so in theory, said RAM should actually boot at 3200mhz.
Since im a bit of noob with timings, will those sticks have good timings as well are frequency?

In answer to another question, i did check compatibility and it does seem to be rated for it. Where I checked it was the only none typical 3200mhz RAM accepted.
As far as I know, it uses the fastest JEDEC timings, which is probably as good as you'll get at 1.2v for a laptop. Most gaming memory is faster, but it also needs 1.35v, which laptops rarely offer.

If you look at the datasheet of a regular (not hyperx) version, it's clearer about how it boots at 3200, so I'd have a little more confidence in that, since I don't know what Kingston means by 'automatic overclocking':
https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR32S22S8_8.pdf

Associate
OP
Indeed, TBH ASUS, have locked this thing down so tight it's a pain in the butt.
Hence the Hyper X being so tempting so the best I can get it to do.

Soldato
If you can't change ram via XMP and want 3200mhz then you should find some ram that runs at 3200 in the jedec spec.

Associate
OP
If you can't change ram via XMP and want 3200mhz then you should find some ram that runs at 3200 in the jedec spec.

Doesn't give that much detail. Basically says it can be used with XMP and with auto overclock to the best your motherboard can do on Ryzen chips. I fall into the 5800H bracket, so I'd like to know if this RAM does what it says on the tin.

Soldato
Doesn't give that much detail. Basically says it can be used with XMP and with auto overclock to the best your motherboard can do on Ryzen chips. I fall into the 5800H bracket, so I'd like to know if this RAM does what it says on the tin.
Whats the part number for the ram your looking at getting?

Back
Top Bottom