Selling 4790k on eBay advice

RLC

RLC

Associate
I've sold an i7 4790k on eBay for about £90. The buyer has a had an account since 2013 but only has 8 feedback and that's all "more than one year ago". A bit more poking shows they last bought on eBay "over 5 years" ago.

They've given their address to what looks like a housing development in Milton Keynes that is still being built.

What would you do?

Send it and risk it gets returned as "faulty" and I end up with a carboard box and they get a free 4790k?

Cancel the sale and wait for another "80% off selling fees"?

or a third option?

Soldato
The first rule of scamming is to send it to an address where you can collect it. If the housing developing is "that much under development", how would he get it?

Send it

RLC

RLC

Associate
OP
He's the guy at reception in charge of deliveries at the site
This is the worry. Or they wait outside and intercept the postie.

Either way if they get it, declare it faulty and send an empty box back via signed for delivery then eBay will give them the money back and what can I do?

Soldato

Either way if they get it, declare it faulty and send an empty box back via signed for delivery then eBay will give them the money back and what can I do?
Sounds like eBay is too serios a business for you. Put it on Gumtree, collection only, and show the person collecting that it works.

Soldato
Cancel it and sell to CEX, FB or Gumtree or something. Deal in cash only when selling to an individual.
I've sold thousands of things on Ebay without a single issue until recently when I fell victim to the seller sending back a different item to the one I sent and sided with the buyer when I raised a case.

Scamming their is now absolutely rampant, their resolution process sides with scammers 99% of the time and recent changes on payments is basically transaction cancer for sellers. I wont be touching that toxic cesspit of a website ever again thats for sure.

Associate

Same thing happened to me however it was a different item. What you can do is not use ebay full of crooks and the biggest ones in the game are ebay.

RLC

RLC

Associate
OP
That's what I was starting to think. If you have a look on the eBay seller forum it is full of posts about this kind of scam and eBay siding with the buyer. I've had no real issues in the past but it sound's like it's getting worse.

RLC

RLC

Associate
OP
Asking for advice after the fact. Why do people do this? Surely the sensible thing is to ask for advice before selling it on eBay.
If the person was an active user and had a decent feedback profile I'd send it. I also sold a motherboard to someone has lots of recent feedback and it's already parcelled up and ready to go tomorrow morning.

Soldato
I don't think it's that bad, I barely use eBay any more and if you saw my account it would be similar. Many years since I last used it

Soldato
If you send it tracked to the address provided then there is no reason why you will be left out of pocket imo

If you send it to a different address than the one eBay provides, you are opening yourself up to trouble.

Soldato
How did the person pay?

I haven't used ebay\paypal for quite some time but don't you have to send the item to the address on their paypal\Ebay account otherwise your not covered?

Back
Top Bottom