Selling a broken car

Soldato
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience selling a car which is broken?

I've thought about using webuyanycar, but they won't collect it.

The gearbox has died on the car and it has other faults, but the engine is strong, it's had a new cam belt, new turbo, new clutch and new flywheel whilst I've owned it. Althought I don't know if I still have paperwork to prove all that.

Webuyanycar offered me £1600, then £1100 after all damage was declared. But I need someone who will come get it. Or rather... go and get it...

It's all a big nightmare tbh. Long story short.... I got a company who claimed to be in Reading (I'm in High Wycombe) to come and get the car as they said they could re-furb the gearbox. They then said they had gone out of business and they still have my car 8 weeks later. Now the battery has died, it still needs a new gearbox. Turns out they aren't in Reading at all, they are in bloody Kent which is mies away from me.

The guy is being a ******* **** and I'm sick of all of it. Just want to flog the car now and be done with it.

The **** wants £200 quid to tow it back to me or he said he can post me the keys. He refuses to give me his phone number (his business line doesn't work any more) and is generaly being a real piece of ****.

I thought about reporting it to the police, but I don't know what to do for the best.

Essentially I'm looking for someone who will want to buy the car and go pick it up. Potentially meeting me there.

The car is a 7 seater 06 plate VW Touran in Electric blue, guide price is 2k but I'd take 1k just to get rid.

Any suggestions or a reputable company who I could use?

Thanks,

G

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Never thought to sell a car on Ebay tbh. Probably end up paypal scammed too :/

Anyone actually sold a car on there?

Cheers,

G

Dup

Dup

Soldato
You could use Shiply or similar to get a quote for recovering it back home then slap it up on Gumtree or EBay with an honest ad.

Surely a refurb box fitted at a local indy will be cheaper than the ~1k loss?

Don
Never thought to sell a car on Ebay tbh. Probably end up paypal scammed too :/

Anyone actually sold a car on there?

Cheers,

G

Sold a couple of cars on there - just state cash on collection only. Only "risk" is waste of time bidders/buyers who then come and try to haggle you down or don't want to buy it when they actually see it.

Soldato
I can't see how ebay would work in this case. "You are bidding on a set of keys for a broken Touran. Buyer to arrange collection with (less than helpful) third party after purchase." Not sure I'd be bidding!

You really need to get the car back to you/another garage somehow and go from there.

Soldato
OP
You could use Shiply or similar to get a quote for recovering it back home then slap it up on Gumtree or EBay with an honest ad.

Surely a refurb box fitted at a local indy will be cheaper than the ~1k loss?

I've already replaced the car in the 8 weeks the **** has kept it so I don't want it any more.

Soldato
Get a quote from Delta salvage in doncaster. They offered us £1k for a 57 plate mondeo with a seized motor.

They've had 3 others off me in the last month or so

Soldato
OP
Whilst this may be the case, it'll still be easier to sell a working car than a broken one. I'd get the gearbox replaced, even if that's with an unwarranted one off eBay.

Not a bad suggestion, but it's just much more hassle than I'm really prepared to deal with at this point.

Soldato
You just need to be honest about it. Someone will buy it assuming it isn't a wreck, they will repair it themselves or just use it for parts.

Though it might be harder to sell than the sort of cars that enthusiasts like to save from the scrapheap.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried selling a non runner on ebay twice (same car) in the last couple of months. Both times the top bidder didn't follow through and tried to knock down by offering about half the final bid (being around £1k).

It's a waste of time from my experience.

Soldato
It would cost you approx £50 to get it transported to your local wbac trader. Loads of recovery firms about, just find a local one and get some prices.

For the ease of transaction surely the simplest way to approach this?

Soldato
OP
It would cost you approx £50 to get it transported to your local wbac trader. Loads of recovery firms about, just find a local one and get some prices.

For the ease of transaction surely the simplest way to approach this?

The problem is my local one is 2 hours away from where that **** took my car.

I could drive down there and pay £50 to have it towed to one near where the car is, but if anything doesn't got right it's a massive pain to be so far from home and sort it in a day.

Back
Top Bottom