Selling car after replacing injector

Associate
Someone I know is soon to be selling their car (ford diesel, 2012, less than 100K miles) but one of the injectors has just come out.
Ideally all should be replaced but this will cost more than the car is worth. What are your thoughts on replacing just one injector. Do you think the others are likely to be knackered or if one has come out is that likely to be a one off incident and the rest could be fine?

Soldato
Mondeo by any chance? I had 2 injectors replaced at about 115k miles on one I had many moons ago. The 2 originals ran fine for another 30k or so before they needed replacing as well. It's not a case of if, but when. However if the remaining injectors are ok then I don't see any need to replace them immediately as they won't cause any harm, or stop you driving. The symptoms start early when the injectors start having issues, and they're easy to spot.

Just be aware that they will need replacing/reconditioning at some point.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Mondeo by any chance? I had 2 injectors replaced at about 115k miles on one I had many moons ago. The 2 originals ran fine for another 30k or so before they needed replacing as well. It's not a case of if, but when. However if the remaining injectors are ok then I don't see any need to replace them immediately as they won't cause any harm, or stop you driving. The symptoms start early when the injectors start having issues, and they're easy to spot.

Just be aware that they will need replacing/reconditioning at some point.
Thanks for the replies @JonRGV250 and @GravyMonster .
Makes sense.
I guess anyone who buys the car will see the maintenance record and realise the other injectors will need replacing at some point.
What about using refurbished or secondhand injectors? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me, and I certainly wouldn't do that to my own car, but I don't know anything about how they work and how they go wrong.
The roadside mechanic who looked at the car said the injector had "popped out" rather than gone wrong. Black smoke was pouring out of the engine.

Soldato
I've had it on an old Toyota Yaris diesel where the clip which holds the injector in broke, could be something like that?

You do get a it running terribly with smoke coming out of the engine when that happens.

I just bought a new clip for about £3, bent the fuel pipes back into shape and put it back together, it went on for another 40k until i told the car without issue.

Associate
had this a few times with the frv when we had it seems common on 2.2 honda diesels.
they rip the rather weak imo thread out of the head and the clamp lets go, loads of unburnt diesel smoking from under engine cover. always drilled and helicoiled the thread and put larger bolts in same injectors and clamps , pipes meh just bent back.
be careful about using different injectors, ie secondhand as most are programmed to engine and to work perfect they need to be reprogrammed.

Back
Top Bottom