Sending Money to Foreign Bank Account

Associate
I have a bank account in India - that I used to use before the COVIDage when travel was allowed!

Has anyone sent money to their own foreign bank account in the past?

I have come across a service called WorldRemit which seems to offer the transfer for 50p.

Looking for some recommendations please.

Soldato
In the summer I used a Revolut card to transfer money to an account in The Netherlands. No fees.

Starling has a better rate, but charges a 4% fee for the currency conversion. I worked out that it evens out in the end as Revolut has a slightly worse rate to make up for the "free" exchange.

I use Starling anyways and find it easier to send as you don't need the full BIC/SWIFT bit, just the IBAN.

Associate
OP
Starling has a better rate, but charges a 4% fee for the currency conversion. I worked out that it evens out in the end as Revolut has a slightly worse rate to make up for the "free" exchange.

I use Starling anyways and find it easier to send as you don't need the full BIC/SWIFT bit, just the IBAN.
Thanks Liquidfox.

I actually have a Starling account, but not a Revolut card so will end up using Starling if I go down that route.

For information, if anyone is reading this in the future, after a bit of trial and error:
  • Worldremit - 0.05% charge - the rate itself is around 0.8% below stock exchange. Total ~ 1.3%
  • Transferwise - £4.77 flat fee - rate is 0.4% below stock exchange
  • World First - No Fee - 0.5% below stock exchange
  • Starling - Does not list India

Looks like I will be going with Transferwise. Thanks for the help everyone.

Suspended
Thanks Liquidfox.

I actually have a Starling account, but not a Revolut card so will end up using Starling if I go down that route.

For information, if anyone is reading this in the future, after a bit of trial and error:
  • Worldremit - 0.05% charge - the rate itself is around 0.8% below stock exchange. Total ~ 1.3%
  • Transferwise - £4.77 flat fee - rate is 0.4% below stock exchange
  • World First - No Fee - 0.5% below stock exchange
  • Starling - Does not list India

Looks like I will be going with Transferwise. Thanks for the help everyone.

Try Azimo first. I use it to send money to South Africa all the time, my first few transfers were 100% free and the exchange rate was actually very favourable. It was also very quick, less than 48h. If you want I can send you a referral code, I think you'll get a few extra transfers free too, not sure. I don't think I gain anything from it.

Associate
OP
Yep, used this a lot to send money to Thailand, worked well
Disclaimer - my own Thai bank account not supporting "the one" I met online
:D:D:D

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I have now used Transferwise for around 3 or 4 transactions. Interface is perfect, easy to use and the transfer mechanism is perfect.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom