Sensor light for cabinets, closet, and staircase ideas.

Associate
Hi Folks!

I'm new to this community! I'm a new mom with some extra time here and there while the baby's sleeping. I found a side hobby to make small improvements at home! Nothing fancy though. I love how most of newly built homes nowadays have this automatic sensor light where when you open your closet door or cabinet, there's a railing light that brightens up. I checked out a few home department stores but couldn't really find what I wanted. There were sensor lights that I found but it seemed soooo much trouble. I either need a power outlet inside the closet/cabinet(what closet or cabinet would have a power outlet inside?) or need to drill holes and stretch a power cord within the walls to the nearest power source. It turns out it could cost me hundreds to close to a few thousand to hire someone to do this! I'm a new mom and definitely don't have that kind of money to spend. I looked online for hours and found a solution. I found this online https://homeidealab.com/products/rechargeable-sensor-light (Pros and Cons at the bottom) and it was what I was looking for, an automatic sensor light that was meant to be used in a closest/cabinet. You can find this on Amazon as well but I couldn't find any cheaper ones. The best part is it doesn't need me to drill holes, no expensive installation, and it's made ready to use. I only have 2 closest that I want to light up with automatic sensor light. The beauty of it all is that I don't need to drill any holes or difficult wiring.

view

The package came with 1 sensor light, a metal plate, and a usb wire. This is how it works: The bottom of the metal plate has an adhesive sticker and what I did was stick the metal plate to where I wanted the sensor light to be in my closet. The back side of the sensor light is magnetized so all I need to do is place the sensor light to the metal plate and it will stick together.

Now the Pros and Cons:

Pro - Affordable, easy to install, no wiring required, no mess, 3 modes you can choose from, very bright. It's rechargeable so if it runs out of battery, remove it from the metal plate and charge it with a usb charger. I've used it for over a month now, haven't had to charge it since the first charge. Pretty wide application, I'm thinking of adding some smaller ones to the stairs as well.

Con - It can run out of battery and you'll need to recharge it(for those lazy ones out there). Whereas professionally installed may cost more but they're hooked up to a power source so that there's always power. Depending on how big your closet, stair well, or wherever you're trying to add a sensor light in, you'll need to purchase a few of these sensor lights. I used 1 for my walk in closet but if you have a bigger closet, you may need 2? There's also a time delay with the lighting tool. I'm not sure what the standard should be but when I'm within distance of the sensor light in my closet, it takes maybe around 2-3 seconds before it lights up?

All in all. It was a pretty good investment for me. Did what I need it to do, at a low cost, and no difficult installation!

My closet with auto lighting!

view

Thanks for reading folks!

Back
Top Bottom