Sent the wrong item back to Amazon and they binned it.

Associate
I build computers as a part time job just to get some spare cash, I ordered some parts from Amazon recently for some builds and one of the graphics cards out of the two I bought didn't work. (Both gigabyte 2070s)
After posting it I realised I had sent the wrong one back, after talking to Amazon I sent the faulty one as well and thought no more of it.

Just got off chat with them and they are refusing to send back the working one and are going to bin it instead as it wasn't the correct item.
I have offered to pay postage back etc, but Amazon don't have the ability to post returns back apparently... ?

I know I cocked up and wasn't organised (they were identical cards and I just didn't mark them properly) but I just don't understand how amazon can happily bin my working card?

I asked if I could create a return for it now as they already had it but they said it wouldnt work as the product would already be disposed of by then and they wouldn't receive a return.

Is it legal for them to do this? That's a lot of money for me. Goodbye this month's mortgage payment I suppose.

Again I know it's my mistake and I am willing to pay for it. But not the cost of the entire card. Am I being unreasonable?

Associate
OP
Sadly taking someone like Amazon to court would cost money I don't have. And if I did lose that could be thousands I have to pay. It just annoys me they admit my card is just sat there "sidelined" waiting for the bin. Just put it in the damn post then. Your Amazon ffs.

Caporegime
Sadly taking someone like Amazon to court would cost money I don't have. And if I did lose that could be thousands I have to pay. It just annoys me they admit my card is just sat there "sidelined" waiting for the bin. Just put it in the damn post then. Your Amazon ffs.

Wouldn't cost thousands, small claims court.

Man of Honour
Escalate ASAP - I don't have details to hand but contact someone higher up the company directly (Amazon don't make it easy but you could try something like their twitter). Unfortunately I can't really see this ending well even legally it isn't clear cut but someone higher up might make an effort for the good will side of it.

Might also be worth giving resolver.co.uk a try dunno.

Soldato
I presume during your initial chat regarding sending the wrong one back they advised you to return the faulty one too? Have you got a copy of the chat log or was it a phone call (can you even ring amazon?) if so refer them back to that?

Soldato
After posting it I realised I had sent the wrong one back, after talking to Amazon I sent the faulty one as well and thought no more of it.

You need to provide more details about this conversation.

Presumably had you not been advised to send the second card, the worst that would have happened would be that they would have returned the first device as 'no fault found'.

I think you're just being fed the default 'if we randomly receive a device that we know nothing about and weren't expecting to receive then the policy is to bin it', sort of response.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I just received someone else’s package (sealed and addressed) within my Amazon package.

Maybe this cancels your mistake out?

Amazon wouldn’t even give me a goodwill gesture for sending this one back to them. :(

Caporegime
I think you'll find that with most big companies these days the employees have absolutely zero common sense and act only in a robotic fashion following instructions to a tee. You'll probably have to go the legal route to get anything out of them now as sending your working GPU back would require some basic initiative skills...

Permabanned
I work in an online store, and if somebody sends something back to us by mistake we'd return it.
legally, we cannot acccept stuff that was incorrectly sent. I don't see why, since it would be theft.

What does their returns policy say?

Soldato
So you sent both cards back one was faulty the other was not, and are you being refunded for both? If not why? Sit on chat all day if you have to! I would and have done before.
The normal thing that happens is they refund me when the item is scanned at the post office, and on it's way back to them.

Soldato
I think the mistake here is sending the second one under the same returns number as the first. If they were sent under separate returns numbers then I'd expect the first to be returned with no fault found and the second replaced or refunded.

Soldato
I'd escalate this up the Amazon chain, then go small claims court. IIRC, you can do it by filling an online form, same as for when they ignore it and you need to send in the bailiffs.

Associate
I wonder if this is Amazon's way of pushing back against their previous problem of scammmers returning something like a 2060 in the box of a 2080 Ti, getting a refund for the Ti, and then the next person down the line buys a 2080 Ti on Amazon Warehouse and gets a 2060. If so, they're completely misusing that policy here and missing the point.

Definitely keep on at them OP. If I were you I'd be incensed. Hopefully you just got unlucky with that employee Happens to us all - we spin the wheel every time we call/open an online chat somewhere. Sometimes we'll get an idiot who can't think of anything other than to try and stick roadblocks in your way probably to mask their own lack of knowledge, other times we'll get someone who can fix things in 3 minutes.

Soldato
Just because you have sent them an item incorrectly they don't have the right to bin it, the same as if they sent you something mistakenly you don't have the right to keep or destroy it

Soldato
They would just bin a working 2070 lol?

I don't think so.... they would test these things to check you weren't commiting return fraud surely? they test it see it's working.....

If thats the case what is stopping you ordering another 2070 and swapping it with your broken one....

Exactly. They do test cards i'm pretty sure, whoever you spoke to may just be an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom