Separate private networks one one powerline network?

Associate
If a household of lodgers, each lodger with his own router, is using the same powerlines on which the landlord has set up a powerline network, do those routers automatically become part of the 'host' powerline network as client networks?

I ask because I have my own router and do not want to share data, devices or files , but am concerned that my private network can be accessed by the landlord, in a kind of host/client configuration. I suspect that my computer is being accessed, due to various odd occurrences.

Is this possible? If so, how can I acquire security and ensure that my computer cannot be accessed by anyone but me?

Thanks for your clear and very informative post, Rachel! It is as I suspected.

What sort of dongle might you suggest for my laptop? Would it encrypt signals going in and out?

Also, since the landlord's landline phone works off the powerline network, can I assume that my own landline is safe, or do I need to protect that too?

Is there any way I can prove that my system is being 'hacked', such as logging that will even pick up powerline network users?

Thanks so much. I hope I'm not leaning too heavily on you.!

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom