Serious upload speed issues

Associate
I was just starting to look in to some issues I've been having with my Ring camera set up and I've now discovered I'm getting the usual 600mbps download on our fibre connection but a consistent 1mbps or less on the upload across serveral different speed testers and devices.

Unforturnately I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to network issues but does anyone have any pointers as to the first things to start looking at?

It's a FTTH conection with the cameras and an annex connected via external CAT and an access point router

Thanks

Associate
OP
Did several restarts to no avail. ISP tech support appears to be closed today so I think I will save myself the hassle for today and start by giving them a call when they open

Associate
in this scenaro I would collect capture using Wireshark and analyse the network packets to determine the cause. Many factors can cause this issue from the TCP stack perspective.

Man of Honour
in this scenaro I would collect capture using Wireshark and analyse the network packets to determine the cause. Many factors can cause this issue from the TCP stack perspective.
Guy is a novice when it comes to networks, and you suggest doing Wireshark analysis? :confused:

Associate
my fault I missed the novice bit

However might be a good learning curve to understand how network works with Wireshark

An area of networking many people do not look into, including professional people who work in Network

Associate
What would you suggest someone looks at in Wireshark to diagnose a throughput issue?

a througput issue can be detected by looking for a "TCP Windows Full" message.

The "TCP Window Full" message from Wireshark means that the system sending this TCP segment has filled up the receive window of the other end with the tcp segment in this packet.

TCP Congestion can also play a part in throughput issue

In Wireshark you can graph throughput and see any delays or if the TCP Window is full.

I have seen issues similair where people blame the network and after collecting a capture, the application is at fault as it doesnt grab the data from the buffer quick enough.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the responses. For some reason this issue seemed to resolve itself after a few days which saved me the usually tedious job of trying to get through to someone at the ISP.. Which is Gigaclear for those that asked.

Back
Top Bottom