Server advice - fairly new to enterprise h/w but want to learn

Associate
I have been building PC's for years and pretty tech savie. I currently use Draytek vigor 130 ubiquiti security gateway with ubiquiti 16 port switch and ubiquiti access point pro (WiFi)

Also have a freenas server where I host unifi controller within a jail and of course for storage. This was originally built with consumer grade, but I upgraded to Xeon cpu and ecc ram
I have an old synology NAS on a seperate network for hosting a website, but this is fairly old and really needs replacing.

I would like to setup a Ubuntu server to run VM's to host websites isolated from each other with specific IP's with something like proxmox or VMWare esxi and would like to use enterprise hardware, but there are so many options and I am not really that familiar with it.
Looking on ebay for second hand to start and tinker or maybe I bite the bullet and go new.
Also I want to test and try new things to learn more. If possible give myself some flexibility to upgrade and enhance in the future.

What would you recommend as a starting point? I was looking at things like a 2nd hand Dell T620 with 2x E5-2640 and 64GB ddr or a R540 rackmount
Any help and advice would be great.

Lets say 4 websites - nothing requiring significant resources or high traffic just simple small business type sites.
Maybe a local DNS, Kemp Load Balancer (Just so I can learn)

Associate
OP
Personal use, I think the bay may be the cheaper route, found myself going down a rabbit hole looking at supermicro mobo's and other components to build myself but cost soon jumps up. I see gigabyte, asrock and asus all now offer server mobo's I guess maybe a bit more affordable when compared to enterprise h/w but not as resilient.
maybe an option for personal use, what would opinions be on the debate of AMD vs INTEL CPU's?

Back
Top Bottom