Server Queries.

Associate
I just require some information on servers, i no nothing about them, but ive been looking to buy one to host a private online game that i play, but i really dont know much about them, are they just mega fast computer with huge hard drive capacity, as ive noticed the long thin ones too, but i have no idea whats the differnce, i reckon the tower server would be more appropriate for me as the racks, well ill leave that up to you to tell me what there for.

So any tips, the one im looking for at the mo is £1000 and is at a competitor so wont post actual thing but below is the spec, could you let me know if it seems ok.

• Operating Systems Not Included
  • Form Factor Tower
  • Processor Brand Intel®
  • Processor Class Pentium® 4
  • Processor Number 650
  • Processor Speed 3.40GHz
  • Processor Interface Socket 775
  • Processors Supported 1
  • Memory Type DDR
  • Total Memory 2 GB
  • Memory Speed DDR 400 (PC-3200)
  • Compatible RAID Levels 1
  • Total Storage Capacity 400 GB
  • Number Of Hard Drives 2
  • Hard Drive Size 200 GB
  • Hard Drive Interface SATA
  • Spindle Speed (RPM) 7200
  • Buffer Memory 8 MB
  • Optical Drive Type 52x CD-RW
  • Graphics Description On Board Video
  • Video Memory 64 MB
  • Communications Description Network Adapter
  • Data Transfer Rate 10 Mbps 100 Mbps
  • Power 400 Watt

The only thing that worries me is the operating system is not included, as a noob with servers, would you advise me to get one with ther OS already installed.

Dont forget my main question though, is a server just a top end Pc, and any other info you can give me would be appreciated.

Edit: Just noticed the Microsoft® Windows® 2003 Server Standard Version on the same site for £800, is this the usual price and would i be able to buy a server whith it already installed for relatively chaeaper than buying the seperate ?

Last edited:
Associate
that to me looks like a desktop pc with raid thats it :confused: , you could build that for cheaper, server parts are generally lower in power consumption well most are the ram is ECC registered u normally get more then 1 cpu and in intel setups there normally xeons, but that server you are looking at just seriously does look like a normal pc with a raid configuration

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thats basically what i thought, but this came from a very known distributor under the "Servers" section, most of tower servers are pretty much around the same spec, just with higher Ram and HD Space.

There are the thin narrow rack ones, but i dont know much about them.

Associate
OP
It also states this under "Additional Specs"

Operating System / Software

OS Certified

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.

Does that mean i will be able to "just" buy the server and it be ok to run without having to buy my own OS ?

Edit: Just found this one with a Xeon CPU.
  • Form Factor: Tower - 5 U
  • Processor: Intel Xeon 3 GHz - 64-bit
  • Memory: 1 GB (installed) / 16 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - ECC - 400 MHz -
  • PC2-3200
  • Hard Drive Capacity: None
  • Storage Controller: SCSI ( Ultra320 SCSI ) - PCI-X / 100 MHz ( Adaptec AIC-7902 )
  • Optical Drive Type: CD-ROM
  • Networking: Network adapter - PCI-X / 100 MHz - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
  • Interfaces: 1 x keyboard - generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style)
    1 x mouse - generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style)
    1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
    1 x parallel - IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) - 25 pin D-Sub (DB-25)
    2 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45
    2 x serial - RS-232 - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9)
    3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 PIN USB Type A
    Management - RS-485 - RJ-45
    1 x storage - Ultra320 SCSI
  • Expansion Slots Total (Free): 2 ( 1 ) x processor - Socket 604
    8 ( 6 ) x memory - DIMM 240-pin
    2 ( 2 ) x PCI Express x8 - full-length
    2 ( 2 ) x PCI-X / 100 MHz - full-length
    1 ( 1 ) x PCI-X hot-plug 133 MHz - full-length
    1 ( 1 ) x PCI - half-length
  • Expansion Bays Total (Free): 3 ( 2 ) x front accessible - 5.25" x 1/2H
    1 ( 0 ) x front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H
    6 ( 6 ) x hot-swap - 3.5" x 1/3H

Does that sound more like a decentish server ?

Last edited:
Associate
Probably better off just building your own, even a 939 htpc setup featuring an Athlon 64 3000+ with a mobo with an integrated graphics chip such as Asus A8N-VM CSM Micro ATX (Socket 939) PCI Express Motherboard (MB-119-AS) along with a couple of large hard drives would probably do the job you have specified. OS wise if you are buying one to install getting something you are familair with would be my advice.

Last edited:
Associate
Mellownatts said:
Thats basically what i thought, but this came from a very known distributor under the "Servers" section, most of tower servers are pretty much around the same spec, just with higher Ram and HD Space.

There are the thin narrow rack ones, but i dont know much about them.
there more like the servers ive seen and know of ive just ordered a cs source dedicated and its in the thin rack mounted cases and has dual 3ghz xeons in it.
maybe do as deadeyedic30 said but go with a dual core intel the 805's are cheap

Last edited:
Soldato
The biggest mistake people make is the thought that a server must have the most powerfull hardware out. It doesnt work like that.
The 2nd Server spec'd above is good, but its WAY overkill for a game's server. Its more suited to a network server, or a Database server.

For games, i'd say that your better off getting a good 939 mobo, a dual core opteron, 2Gb of memory & 1 small hdd for windows & several large ones for other stuff. That'd be ideal for a games server.

Back
Top Bottom