Service desk ticketing software

Caporegime
We've used RT https://bestpractical.com/request-tracker at work in the past and it's good. It just works, but is limited in more advanced features. We've recently transitioned to Salesforce and hate it with a passion. It's so...illogical in some of it's decisions. management love it as it's way more powerful in terms of reports and tracking staff and what they do. The users though? hate it. Every single one of us.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
We've used RT https://bestpractical.com/request-tracker at work in the past and it's good. It just works, but is limited in more advanced features. We've recently transitioned to Salesforce and hate it with a passion. It's so...illogical in some of it's decisions. management love it as it's way more powerful in terms of reports and tracking staff and what they do. The users though? hate it. Every single one of us.
Thank you.

Associate
Vivantio might be worth a shout but not sure on the pricing/licensing - used it in a similar sized business.
Damn bro.
I used that back in the day when I was contracting for Yodel many years ago.
It sucked so bad I put it in the same category as Remedy, has it improved at all?

Current place uses Service Now, and it's decent when config'd, tuned and tweaked correctly.
Throw a little Nexthink in there and it's smooth.

Soldato
Damn bro.
I used that back in the day when I was contracting for Yodel many years ago.
It sucked so bad I put it in the same category as Remedy, has it improved at all?

Current place uses Service Now, and it's decent when config'd, tuned and tweaked correctly.
Throw a little Nexthink in there and it's smooth.
Yeah they introduced a new 'FLEX' version and improved a lot of the Web hooks and that. It's still a bit different to anything else I've used but for smaller businesses not bad.

I'm currently using Salesforce and ServiceNOW and SNOW is much better but both are OK.

Last edited:
Soldato
We've multiple service desks, seems like every team wants to set up their own way of doing things. Our project to converge them stalled due to conflicting requirements and priorities. I gave up on it, and backed out of the project. Too many cooks.

I think you have to demo some of these projects for few days or so to get a feel for them. If they can't be simply configured to do what you want in that time, they probably aren't for you.

Sometimes you have to compromise on things perhaps even change your process. Our place wouldn't do that so it all stalled.

Associate
I have a small IT business and was looking for the right software to help us handle customer service requests. We tried some big names, but they were too complicated and expensive for what we needed.
What have you tried already?

Fresh desk
Zen desk
JIRA
Service now
Manage engine
Kayako

Frankly if its a small business and you just need a place to log and reply to tickets, I never had a problem with Kayako.

Don
I think you have to demo some of these projects for few days or so to get a feel for them. If they can't be simply configured to do what you want in that time, they probably aren't for you.

Exactly this - for our I.T. helpdesk we tried several different ones paid and free (including Spiceworks, RT, supportworks). Most of them just didn't fit with our workflow so just ended up with a Gmail addon https://gmelius.io/ which does the basics we need (assigning tasks to agents, keeping track of status, and internal notes without having to have email chains)

Our customer services team wanted something similar, and for them we've set up https://www.keeping.com/ which is very similar to gmelius but a bit cheaper.

Caporegime
Last four businesses I’ve worked for have had a mixture ranging from zero budget to all the money.

For when I had zero budget (twice), I used Hesk. Paid for products are a minefield of what you want to achieve vs regulatory requirements vs budget, but recently we’ve settled on Manage Engine SDP for MSP.

So far enjoying it more than ServiceNow, House on The Hill and Cherwell.

Last edited:
Soldato
A bit late here but I've used them all over the years, my previous business had a complicated setup of Jira / Service Desk / Confluence after moving from Freshdesk and Wrike. Now that I'm away from all that and after much research I decided to jump on the Notion bandwagon - I've now got my CRM, projects, calendar and client-facing service desks on it and can't recommend it enough. As a freelance consultant/designer/dev, it fits the bill and is very customisable.

OP, if you're looking for an out and out service desk, there's been some good recommendations so far but if you want something cheap (or free) then I'll throw Notion into the mix.

Associate
I have had good experiences with ConnectWise Manage, for MSP and for internal. ConnectWise Automate is also good to plug in on top for infrastructure monitoring as well

Back
Top Bottom