Set your own SNR margin!(speedtouch routers)

Associate
not sure if this has been posted before, but just came across a program that allows you to set your line stats such as snr for adsl max, just done some tweaking with this, and managed to get 1.5 mb faster sync! (from 2.5 to 4mb) first time you run it, its in german second time it should go to english.

not sure if it works with other modems or not, but i think its for certain speedtouch ones,(working here on speedtouch 576)

http://dmt.mhilfe.de/

enjoy!

Soldato
When you log into your router using the DMT tool, it should change to english...I remember someone telling me over at ADSL guide a while back ;)

Caporegime
It's probably worth pointing out that a) it doesn't change your SNR margin, only what it reports back to the DSLAM and b) if you bodge it too much, you will see instability in your connection. Ergo, your mileage will vary.

Associate
tolien said:
It's probably worth pointing out that it doesn't change your SNR margin, only what it reports back to the DSLAM
I didn't know that and I used to use it to try and stabilise my line when I had a SpeedTouch router.
I am now using a Billion router which features bandwidth management where I can (allegedly) set the maximum download sync speed.
Is this also likely to not be worth bothering with?

I don't want to rush into it anyway as I want to leave my connection alone and see what BRAS profile I settle on without 'interference'.

I have an uptime of just under 4 days (the longest I have ever had on Max since going on it around 6 weeks ago) and a sync speed of 3.74 Mb with a SN/R margin of around 10 dB.
I would like to sync just a little higher to around 4 Mb to put me on a 3.5 Mb profile.

Tolien, in your opinion is it best to leave these kinds of tools alone and leave your connection entirely to BT's DLM?

Caporegime
CurlyWhirly said:
I didn't know that and I used to use it to try and stabilise my line when I had a SpeedTouch router.

Did you think it was magically pulling more signal out of nowhere? :p

CurlyWhirly said:
I am now using a Billion router which features bandwidth management where I can (allegedly) set the maximum download sync speed.

Is it a sync rate limit, or "bandwidth management" (which sounds more like traffic shaping)?

Tolien, in your opinion is it best to leave these kinds of tools alone and leave your connection entirely to BT's DLM?

Depends. If you need the stability and can afford the loss of speed then pushing your target SNR up (or capping your sync rate, same idea), or the inverse, it might be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Associate
tolien said:
Did you think it was magically pulling more signal out of nowhere?
No I just thought that when you set your own SN/R margin, you override BT's DLM but apparently not.

tolien said:
Is it a sync rate limit, or "bandwidth management" (which sounds more like traffic shaping)?
I just checked in the router stats and apparently it is outbound IP throttling configuration (from LAN to WAN packet) and is a bit complicated to use.
In fact this router has an extensive range of features and tweaks that I don't have a clue about and is nothing like my old SpeedTouch router :o

tolien said:
Depends. If you need the stability and can afford the loss of speed then pushing your target SNR up (or capping your sync rate, same idea), or the inverse, it might be worthwhile.
I much prefer stability to speed.

Caporegime
CurlyWhirly said:
No I just thought that when you set your own SN/R margin, you override BT's DLM but apparently not.

The point is that you aren't setting your own SNR margin, you're setting your target SNR...

Your SNR has nothing to do with the DLM, barring it's reported to the DLM kit and if necessary the DLM kit will change settings appropriately.
It's purely an electrical characteristic across your line from your modem to the DSLAM's line card (with some averaging chucked in along the way).

So all that happens is the DLM kit sees your line's sustaining x speed at n SNR margin. The End.

The Sangoma cards will let you set your sync rate. Some of the ADSLguide users have them, and dave2150 (that pops up on here now and again) does too IIRC.

Associate
tolien said:
The Sangoma cards will let you set your sync rate. Some of the ADSLguide users have them, and dave2150 (that pops up on here now and again) does too IIRC.
Perhaps I should have bought that card or router (whatever it is) instead of this Billion router which I was told would allow me to set my own sync rate.

It's not too bad though as this router seems to be less susceptible to line 'noise' and disconnections than my old SpeedTouch.

Thanks Tolien :)

Caporegime
It's a PCI card. Nearly bought one myself before I went the way of the Cisco.

The Billion should let you fiddle with your target SNR margin though, so you can indirectly change the sync rate.

Associate
tolien said:
It's a PCI card. Nearly bought one myself before I went the way of the Cisco.

The Billion should let you fiddle with your target SNR margin though, so you can indirectly change the sync rate.
Thanks Tolien :)

I am finding that this Billion router is a lot more stable than my SpeedTouch ever was and I am managing to sync at a higher sync rate than I ever could before and with less errors.
In fact my connection hasn't dropped once since I bought it!

If it stays up for another few hours then my BRAS rate should go up to 4 Mb from the current 3.

Screenshot

By the way what does Tx Attenuation do?
I think it's got something to do with tweaking the Upstream Attenuation but why would I want to do that :confused:

Screenshot

It offers 2 different options - Dmt and Bis

I think Dmt will do something similar to what the DMT used to do (which I used to use when I had a SpeedTouch) but I haven't a clue what Bis does :confused:

Incidentally I have read the PDF file that came on the enclosed CD but am none the wiser :o

Caporegime
CurlyWhirly said:
By the way what does Tx Attenuation do?

It's what it says on the tin - the upstream attenuation. At a guess it does the same as the SNR tweak - reports values higher or lower than the real thing.
Simple answer's leave it be.

Back
Top Bottom