Setting up Pi-hole

Associate
Had pihole set up on dietpi when I got my rpi few weeks ago. Have since moved house and now have BT infinity and can't seem to get pihole to respond to DNS requests. Was working fine before the move but now checking with Wireshark and I can see my laptop sending out DNS queries to the pi but it doesn't ever respond. I can get on the web gui fine. Only change made was it was running on wifi before but has been swapped to ethernet. Any ideas? Cheers.

Associate
I'm using a Home Hub 5 from BT and going to set up my Pi 3 with Pi-Hole. If I want to use this as a DHCP server also, will the firewall on my Home Hub 5 still be active with it not assigning IP addresses?

Associate
Thanks to the OP for the heads up and various others throughout the thread. I've finally got around to installing this on a Pi2 and, because I have a PlusNet HomeHub, I'm using the Pi-Hole enabled DHCP server. Had to power cycle the iPhone so it saw the new DNS but the older iPad was happy with a WiFi Off/On toggle. Seems to be working fine :)

Commissario
Update time again - Run pihole -up

Looks like it won't be long before FTL is implemented which should seriously speed up the web front end as it queries the database. It's not in this version but it's in the development branch already.

Associate
It was working fine for me and the update didn't cause any issues for me. Very quick to update to.

Although i was on the version before the update from a fresh install.

Soldato
What is pi-hole exactly and how does it compare to Jessie lite?

Got given a pi zero the weekend for my birthday, managed to download Jessie lite, find a spare micro sd and flash it, got myself a powered hub, but the distro is strange, first time then odd times after it would load a bunch of writing then scroll a crap load of numbers like it's never ending, eventually after some reboots I get the [ok] list then login which I have changed, but for the life of me I can't get my wireless adapter working so I can't update or install a desktop package or anything, it shows all the wifi signals in range, but I don't know how to access any?..

I'm not use to cmd as the main source and use to normal Linux, but while I got projects in mind for my pi, I just want to use it for my movie files right now, so want the best or least easiest distro to get up and runnng.

Soldato
What is pi-hole exactly and how does it compare to Jessie lite?

Got given a pi zero the weekend for my birthday, managed to download Jessie lite, find a spare micro sd and flash it, got myself a powered hub, but the distro is strange, first time then odd times after it would load a bunch of writing then scroll a crap load of numbers like it's never ending, eventually after some reboots I get the [ok] list then login which I have changed, but for the life of me I can't get my wireless adapter working so I can't update or install a desktop package or anything, it shows all the wifi signals in range, but I don't know how to access any?..

I'm not use to cmd as the main source and use to normal Linux, but while I got projects in mind for my pi, I just want to use it for my movie files right now, so want the best or least easiest distro to get up and runnng.

Pihole isn't an OS, it's an ad blocking DNS service.

Soldato
So, Raspi 1 model B setup in our call centre. Running Raspibian and PiHole.

5 machines setup so far, list of 40-50 sites blacklisted...going to see how it handles that then start adding more.

It's the only option I've had, it was being done at the router level but the ops director decided to just move routers around meaning the entire company was blocked and the CEO kicked off about it.

A few things I'd improve if it was me, such as being able to sort blocked sites by name but overall, very impressed with it.

Back
Top Bottom