Setting up virtual continuous integration quickly - how?

Soldato
I write code that *should* work on most platforms, but probably doesn't. So I imagine a large set of virtual machines running various OS / compiler permutations, under the control of something like buildbot, each of which checks out and builds a project on command.

Where I have halted is the admin overhead. I don't mind writing a cross platform build system or tying them all to the same git or svn repository, but I really don't want to install and configure and maintain a hundred or so machines by hand.

I think the answer lies in vagrant + puppet/chef or similar, but am struggling to work out how to set the system going in a fashion that won't need hours of care each week. I know lots of projects have set up something similar, but can't seem to find the magic minimum time solution that I'm sure exists.

Could someone point me in the right direction please?

edit: In case this helps someone else, I think I'm going to go with some hybrid of vagrant, salt and scons, doing distressing amounts of the legwork myself. I'm still holding out hope of finding an existing script that will build a virtual machine if given windows license keys, but haven't found one yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom